Ford Mondeo ST200 Review

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Paul Perkins.'s review of Ford Mondeo ST200

“When people ask me what do I drive, as they do!, I...”

Written on: 27/02/2002 by Paul Perkins. (1 review written)

Superb Handling
Good Looks
Good Performance
VFM

Brakes
Performance could be better

General Comments
When people ask me what do I drive, as they do!, I say, "Just a Mondeo". Conversation usually ends there, but I always inwardly smile and laugh inwardly at the Audi or BMW driver before me. This is because Ford Mondeo drivers have a secret weapon and it is the ST200. Do Not confuse this Wolf in Sheep's, with the inferior ST24. In glorious anonymity this only comes in Beautiful Blue turns heads with its Styling, not many around, excellent residual value.

Growling V6 2.4 ltr. 201 bhp just a little slower that other faceless Asian performance Cars, but dismiss it over these at your peril because it is quite magnificent into corners. When I first drove it I was reminded of a go-kart the grip is that good.

Better news is that an ST225 is on the way to make up for the ST200 very small list of shortcomings.

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

43039_Ian.'s Response to Paul Perkins.'s Review

Written on: 11/10/2002

Couldn't agree more...I also 'just drive a Mondeo'. The best thing about the ST200 is it's cornering and reaction to changes in road surface, it doesn't even get phased by mid corner bumps, it just leaves the road for a while and grips like hell when it lands back down.
<br>
<br>The engine is just short of spectacular though, it doesn't feel like 200bhp. It would have been much better matched to a good six speed box. That said, the engine is very responsive and the five gears it does have are well matched (as long as you take it close to the red line)
<br>
<br>The worst part...I have to replace it soon, and probably with a golf GTI 150PD, not quite the same beast!