Tefal ActiFry Review

• Style

• Service & Support

Guest's review of Tefal ActiFry

Tefal ActiFry

“Purchased our tefal actifry about 14 months ago from...”

Written on: 01/04/2010

Purchased our tefal actifry about 14 months ago from an outlet , got a great deal at around £78! . First thing to go was the clips on the lid , but luckily was still within the guarantee period so took it back to outlet where it was purchased . Unfortunately they were no longer selling it so gave us a telephone number to contact. Seemed pretty helpful , took some details and was told to scan the receipt and send the image via the web and they would send a replacement . Replacement arrived about 3 weeks later with no charge and everything was fine again. We absolutely loved this product , but ............. today it died! Just like so many others buyers we had put some chips in to cook , only a small portion, and after about 10 minutes we heard a loud crackling and then a bang! It had stopped working completely , apart from the display which was still working. Awful smell! when my husband took it apart it and looked inside it had black soot marks all over the back of it and was burnt near the fan. It has been used quite a bit approximately 3 times a week since we purchased it and up to now had been a great asset, which led me to immediately search for a replacement on the internet at hopefully a reasonable cost. That is when I started to see links regarding the safety issues with this product . It seems like this is a common fault with the Actifry and therefore shouldn't trading standards make them recall them and make them re-design the product - after all this is a safety issue ! As so many have said previously this fault could be the cause of a serious fire . Obviously Tefal are aware of this fault ,and if they have redesigned it then how do we know ? Have they changed the model number ? If anyone is aware of this or knows where further information can be obtained it would be very helpful to know. As for buying one of these and recommending them , well yes I probably would but only after making sure that the buyer was fully aware of the possible consequences and left it for them to decide. Great idea Tefal ! but at what cost?

• More than 1 year

• Style

• Service & Support

Easycook's Comment

Written on: 05/04/2010

I found this review very helpful because I was thinking of buying an Actifry as a safe alternative to frying in a pan of oil. Now I think I will buy a tried and test deep fat fryer with lid. Thanks for honest feedback. With a young child in the home who is learning to cook, safety is a big issue!