Mountfield SP470 Review

Guest's review of Mountfield SP470

Mountfield SP470

“5 years ago I bought a Mountfield SP460 roller from...”

Written on: 29/03/2010

5 years ago I bought a Mountfield SP460 roller from B&Q. My father had had a mountfield in the 1970s and I recall it giving 25 years of reliable service. In short it was a good quality hard wearing lawn mower. Not so now. Looking at the SP460 roller you'd think I'd had it 25 years not 5. I have looked after it well, kept it serviced and dry stored in the garage. The Briggs and Stratton engine is fine, although the rest is really flimsy and has not weathered well with my light garden use. The roller self drive has stopped working,the cable connecting the dead man's handle comes loose and needed taping up, the height adjuster has snapped off at the back due to poor design and weak metal, the grass box has near disintergrated. All very poor for what was a decent brand. Shame on you Mountfield or whoever you are!! It is now a throw away product like a disposable razor, and a waste of good a Briggs and Stratton engine. My advice would be to buy a Hayter if you want a decent quality machine or something Japanese. Don't buy Mountfield unless you want a mower that works properly for 2 seasons if you're lucky. It's a false economy for sure. I have decided to patch mine up for the long term, although I won't make this mistake again.

• Petrol/Gas