Nokia 6310 Review

• Reception

• Style

Andy Woodvine.'s review of Nokia 6310

Nokia 6310

“I upgraded my mobile phone from a 6210 to its...”

Written on: 26/02/2002 by Andy Woodvine. (1 review written)

Comes with ultra slim lithium-polymer battery as standard.
Compatable with all the Nokia 6210 accessories.
Easy to use
Has GRPS for always on data connecion & Bluetooth to connect wirelessly to other Bluetooth devices

Does not come with a hands-free kit.
Does not have a colour screen.
May be too big for some
Only dual band - will not work in the USA.

General Comments
I upgraded my mobile phone from a 6210 to its replacement equivalent - the nokia 6310. My review will concentrate mainly on the differences between these two handsets so will be of greatest benefit to those familiar with the 6210.

LOOKS

The 6310 is the same shape and size as the 6210. The new li-polymer battery is however slimmer and makes the back of the phone completely flat rather than the curve that we are used to on the 6210. The keys are laid out slightly diffently. I have found that the lettering on the keys is slightly more difficult to read in the daytime but they are easy to read when it is dark and the phones backlight is on.

SPEED

One of the biggest problems with the 6210 was the slowness of the phone (opening the SMS inbox for example) compared to older models. The 6310 is much quicker at everything. It has also not crashed on me (yet) - something that frequently happened when going thru the menu too quickly on the 6210.

FEATURES

GPRS - this was easily set up. WAP over GPRS was not as good as I expected, as you have to reload the page everytime you access the WAP browser - it's not as though the browser runs in the background when you are elsewhere within the menu. There is a counter that keeps track of data transferred - handy to monitor the cost as GPRS is expensive on all UK networks at the moment.

BLUETOOTH - very good, have used it without problems to forward numbers to another 6310.

VOICE RECORDER - can be used to record telephone conversations or memo's to yourself. When you have recorded your own memo you can set an alarm so it plays back at a given dat/time - handy for reminders etc. Total recording time is 3 mins which is satisfactory. I have found the playback to be very crisp and clear.

WAP BROWSER - now has WAP 1.2.1 - with a few nice extras, where you can store your credit card details in the phone so you can buy stuff with WAP quickly without having to enter your card details every time.

Other:

Battery says it lasts upto 7 days on standby - only had the phone 8 hours but used it a lot and battery has not gone down even one bar yet so this seems OK. Battery and Signal meters have 7 bars as opposed to 5 on 6210.

Games - more games, and you can download more games and upload high scores to Club Nokia via GPRS.

To-Do List - another new feature. You can prioritise your tasks so the more urgent ones appear first.

The phone is not dual band so is no good if you want to use it in the States. It does not have a colour screen - but I don't think a colour screen is really neccessary (and colour screens use more battery power anyway). If you are interested in a tri-band phone or phone with a colour screen, the Ericsson T68 is a good alternative.

Size wise, it may be too big for some people but I think phones such as the 8310 are too small and fiddily.

In summary, an excellent 'serious' looking high-end phone for the mobile professional!

• Reception

22167_Paul.'s Response to 14106_Andy Woodvine.'s Review

Written on: 03/05/2002

A good review.
<br>
<br>I have had the 6310 for a week now. I love it. It links to my COmpaq iPAQ using Bluetooth OR IR which enables me to search the web and check emails whilst i'm on the move.
<br>However, I'm having one major problem...I thought the 6310 was meant to be compatible with all 6210 accessories but the twin sim module I had for my 6210 DOESN'T work in the 6310.
<br>Has anyone else experienced this problem? Please comment.

20891_Andy Woodvine.'s Response to 14106_Andy Woodvine.'s Review

Written on: 23/04/2002

Thanks for correcting me Geoff.
<br>
<br>The phone works on operating frequencies GSM 900 + 1800. It does not work on GSM 1900 which is the frequency used in the USA.

20653_Geoff.'s Response to 14106_Andy Woodvine.'s Review

Written on: 22/04/2002

Correction - phone IS dual-band, but is not tri-band, hence won't work in U.S.
<br>However, new 6310i is tri-band.

19702_Roddie.'s Response to 14106_Andy Woodvine.'s Review

Written on: 17/04/2002

Nice review, learnt quite a few things I never knew about it. I'm glad to hear it's faster than previous Nokias, I use a 7110 and a 3210 and the 7110 is a slug compared to the 3210, and it's one of the things that out me off getting a 6210 since I heard it was quite slow. I think at this point in time it would be silly for me to get a 6310, as if I wait a month or two I can get a 6310i.

18143_Adnan Khan.'s Response to 14106_Andy Woodvine.'s Review

Written on: 05/04/2002

Insightful review. The liked the use of "splitting" up the features and concentrating on the difference between 6210 and the 610. Kudos!

17374_Lozlis.'s Response to 14106_Andy Woodvine.'s Review

Written on: 28/03/2002

Excellent review I have a 7110 and new to upgrade looks like I have made my decision