Pearl MHP-925 XFP Limited Ed Master Premium Review

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

Guest's review of Pearl MHP-925 XFP Limited Ed Master Premium

Pearl MHP-925 XFP Limited Ed Master Premium

“I am very pleased with my New Pearl kit. 22, 10, 12,...”

Written on: 04/03/2010

I am very pleased with my New Pearl kit. 22, 10, 12, 14. It's beautifully finished and the construction and hardware is of excellent quality.

It's the Limited Edition, Masters Premium Mahogany 5 pc shell pack.

2.3mm power hoops with aluminum optimount tom tom holders.

It has good quality heads too. Remo, clear ambassadors, top and bottom on

all toms and snare ( coated batter ). This combination gives powerful attack. The toms go quite low but the punch is very impressive. The quality sound one would expect from a Pearl high end kit.

Great for rock as is.

For some styles of music, the attack may come across as a little "bangie" though. Especially on the 14" floor tom.

To make it more versatile, I replaced all the tom tom resonant heads with

Remo clear diplomats. And all the tom tom batter heads, with Remo coated Smooth White Emperors. This warmed up the sound considerably and rounded out the tone. Now it fits with jazz, blues, rock, and oldies, which me and the boys play at our gigs. These heads better suits the high quality Mahogany shells.

Because of the 4ply African Mahogany shells, ( with 4 ply maple reinforcement rings) the 10" now sounds much larger than it appears due to the power of the lows. The 12" is really great too. And the 14" floor tom has a wonderful full tone with lots of low rumble to it. Fantastic. Fast fills and runs on the toms has never been more fun!

The 14" x 5" snare is really good. Wide tuning range. I personally like it best just above mid tuning. Solid, warm and full with a very good crack.

I'm very happy with this snare. For more projection, I use a Pearl Master Custom MCX-1465 maple snare. And for even more punch, I use a Pearl Sensitone Elite Brass snare 14"x6.5". The gig size and location basically decides which one I will use.

My previous kit was the Pearl Vision VLX Std kit, which was very good and versatile too, but I wanted something really special, and this kit is it!!!! It gorgeous to look and play. Really classy. If that is what you are looking for, check out the MHP 925XFP's. You'll love it.

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

• Advanced

Reviewer's Musical Standard