Mamma Mia! Review

glenc's review of Mamma Mia!

“I went to Mamma Mia as part of a 60th birthday...”

Written on: 16/02/2010 by glenc (304 reviews written)

I went to Mamma Mia as part of a 60th birthday celebration for my mother. It would be fair to say, it wouldn't be the kind of thing Id chose to go along to normally.

I found the acting and the singing average at best (particularly some of the singing - quite weak).

I found the plot fairly daft - the actors would be discussing something and then break out into song with a very weak link between the dialogue/plot and the song they were singing - it was almost comical in parts. Basically it seemed to me that they really tried to shoehorn in the Abba songs, but most just didnt go with the plot, so it became fairly farsical.

I guess if you liked the film you may well like the musical (I only managed to watch 20 mins of the film before I felt compelled to turn it off - so I guess going to the musical was always going to be challenging!)

I'd only recommend it if you've seen the film and loved it. The ticket prices were fairly shocking (£60 each) for the quality of entertainment and Id definitely say you could see other things at the theatre which are infinitely better and considerably cheaper

• London