Raja Tandoori Cuisine, Knebworth Review

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

Greggg's review of Raja Tandoori Cuisine, Knebworth

“I visited this restaurant yesterday(23.01.2010)....”

Written on: 24/01/2010 by Greggg (1 review written)

I visited this restaurant yesterday(23.01.2010). Because the place was busy I was offered only 1 hour slot from 7PM to 8PM. I met a friend there. We ordered a tea and coffee. After a couple of minutes one of the waiters asked what we want to order for dinner. We replied that we need some more time. Within the next 10 minutes different waiters asked us the same at least 4 times. Finally, the manager came to us and said that we have to order quickly as we have time only until 8PM. I said that we do not want to rush with our dinner and decided just to stick to our drinks (we had only about 40 mins left to order and finish meal which simply was not enough time). The Indian manager became very angry and by pointing on me he replied that we must order or pay the surcharge - 25 pounds. We refused as the surcharge was ridiculous and we were not told we will have to pay anything but the prices on the menu. The menu did not say anything about any surcharge for having drinks only. Having only 1 hour only we were confident now we will not order anything to eat.

Then, he got even more upset, came really close; started pointing at me and yelling that we will not leave before we pay the surcharge. I replied that we are his customers I we will not accept this sort of behaviour. We attempted leaving. He then tried to force me into the toilets as guests started feeling uneasy about the whole situation. When I refused he told his waiters to literally push me in there! I was very quiet during the whole thing. I felt like being harassed and I called the Police. This was when the manager settled down a little. I threw a 20 pounds bankote on the counter and we left. Police arrived a couple of minutes later. They spoke to the manager but he refused to talk. After about 10 minutes he finally admitted to everything. I was told that I did nothing wrong and it really is a rip-off to charge someone 25 pounds surcharge if one does not order anything. They advised me to sue the guy on such and such basis which I will not do. I will not go there anymore and will not recommend this place to anyone. This sort of behaviour may be normal and acceptable in India perhaps, but definitely not in the UK.

• Indian

Food Type

• Under £5

Average cost per head

• Once or twice a year

How often do you eat here?

• Lively

Atmosphere

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

Guest's Response to Greggg's Review

Written on: 17/06/2011

You were told they were very busy and could only be accomodated for an hour

so you go in an indian restaurant and ordered a tea and coffee. Why didnt you just go to one of the two cafes nearby

I am not surprised the manager was frustrated with you