Spybot - www.safer-networking.org Review

• Quality

puniksem's review of Spybot - www.safer-networking.org

Spybot - www.safer-networking.org

“SpyBot S&D has in my mind been one of the more...”

Written on: 29/12/2009 by puniksem (13 reviews written)

SpyBot S&D has in my mind been one of the more reliable FREE anti spy-ware utilities. It has over the years that I have used it, come a long way to finding and successfully removing most internet born threats. However I have also tested many other scanner/removers and found that SpyBot S&D has not always found or removed some infections. But hey we cannot expect just one scanner to remove all threats. I haven't found one yet! SPYBOT S&D does however rate highly in my recommendations, as long as one knows what combination of scanners are best suited together. One downfall I have noticed is that in attempting to recognise and remove the virtumonde threat, the SpyBot signature database has dramatically increased, making the overall scanning time quite a bit longer. Please don't get me wrong, this is not a bad thing, you don't want the virtumonde threat on your system, the average scan can take hours to complete (depending on your system speed) In conclusion: BRILLIANT FREE DEFENCE AGAINST NET NASTIES!

Revcbh's Response to puniksem's Review

Written on: 05/09/2010

I found this review very helpful because it confirmed my longheld suspicion that any single product would be unlikely to cover all threats in a timely fashion, if only because developer resources are necessarily limited at any point in time and the idiots who implement the threats are unlikely to enquire of developers "are you geared to counter our newest stupid puerile infantile mentally challenged threat?" Allow me to say I used to greatly appreciate the very adult approach to the market taken for Spybot i.e. "make a donation". A mature contribution in the "grab the cash at all costs and maximise the profit" environment sadly all too pervading in the current commercial environment. Having been out of touch with these matters for a while, I wonder if Spybot's excellent approach has been sustainable? I'll have a look! ...