Matchmoor Riding centre Matchmoor Lane, Horwich, Bolton Review

Guest's review of Matchmoor Riding centre Matchmoor Lane, Horwich, Bolton

“I go to Matchmoor every other Sunday paying with my...”

Written on: 23/12/2009

I go to Matchmoor every other Sunday paying with my own pocket money and overall, I think it is a good school. Last Sunday, I couldn't go because the rings were completely frozen over and my mum was scared about the horses spooking and me falling and breaking something (for the first time in my life!). There are a few critisms though:

1. Road towards the school is awfully bumpy and worn away.

2. Ground towards the barns, top ring, little school and back yard is terribly muddy on bad days.

3. The horses are normally not very clean; need to be groomed more often.

4. On half hour hacks, it takes many times going before you actually learn something.

5. Sometimes, rides/lessons can be repetitive; need to raise the level of speed in teaching.

6. You don't learn how to groom or tack up the horses

Now, here are some improvements that I am suggesting to the school:

1. Fix the road on Matchmoor Ln.

2.Clean the horses more often

3. Replace the muddy ground leading towards rings, barns and yards with concrete, gravel ect.

4. Ask what riders have learnt and haven't learnt in hacks/lessons, so you can teach them either at the time or next time. (eg. If you haven't learnt to canter in lessons, teach them next lesson)

5. Leave horses un-tacked before rides, and teach younger riders to tack up or groom (grooming depends on the state of the horse involved)

So, I rate the school 3 stars out of 5, and also, the price is very efficient for people who find it difficult to afford riding lessons.

Guest's Comment

Written on: 23/02/2012

they do offer 1 or 3 days courses on tacking up and grooming horses actually.

Dreamer_101's Comment

Written on: 05/05/2012

the center offers 1/2hr stable management lessons where you can learn this and 1 day or 3 day courses where you look after the same pony and ride it 2hrs daily.