The Palace Theatre, Manchester Review

Guest's review of The Palace Theatre, Manchester

“We booked seats in the Grand Tier for the Sound of...”

Written on: 23/12/2009

We booked seats in the Grand Tier for the Sound of Music, having called TicketMasters and asked for the best seats available. There was no mention of limited legroom at the time of booking though I accept that when I printed the electronic tickets it did say so on them.

I find it incredible that a theatre like this can exist in a modern era. It may be grand and ornate but the seats were so small and the legroom so limited that I actually opted to skip the second half of the performance as I could bear the discomfort no longer.

I took my elderly mother to see the show and she was terrified by the steepness and height of the steps, I am stunned that they have a safety certificate as it is totally unsuitable for the elderly or less able bodied.

Frankly the place needs gutting and refurbishing to modern standards, it is an insult to the public that they have seats so tightly crammed together that the discomfort outweighs and pleasure obtained from the performance

P.S.

I gave this theatre one star out of 5 only because no stars was not an allowable option. he show by the way was excellent.

• Connie Fisher