Open University www.open.ac.uk Review

• Libraries

• Nightlife

• Societies & Clubs

Guest's review of Open University www.open.ac.uk

“I have just finished an OU degree. I have read many of...”

Written on: 19/12/2009

I have just finished an OU degree. I have read many of the reports on this site and notice the extreme ends of the spectrum. You either love it or you hate it apparently. But what I would say is that those who hate it probably lack the dedication and personal tenacity that is required for an OU degree. You must be dedicated and prepared to spend valuable study home time locked away in the bedroom reading, note taking, writing TMA's while hearing the kids playing down stairs. But the feeling of learning is a wonderful thing. The OU material is exemplary, written by leading scientists and lecturers in their fields, designed especially with supporting material, written, video, audio and online to deal with distance learning. The support is generally excellent even though you do get the odd unsupportive lecturer. The on line library and also the Milton Keynes library will lend you books by post. You study for 8 months a year and do a combination of monthly tutor marked assignments (TMA's) and a final exam. The TMA's keep you focused and on track. I compared my 3rd level physics exam with a college at Bristol University doing Astrophysics and the questions were very similar. I really questioned the academic rigidity and set some questions to my physics colleagues at work. They ranked them as tough and comparable to their universities. Employees like OU students as it shows a level of dedication needed in the working environment lacking in main stream students. So on the whole I was very happy with my 4 years. I met some wonderful friends on my 4 summer schools and professional scientists who are leading in the fields of science. Don't dismiss this way of studying.

• 2005-2009

• Nightlife

• Societies & Clubs

Pgstudent's Comment

Written on: 23/06/2010

I found this review not helpful because...the thoughtless commentary is ridiculous at best. You cannot say "those who hate it probably lack the dedication and personal tenacity that is required for an OU degree."
<br/>
<br/>I am an honours students with TOTAL dedication and ABUNDANT personal tenacity and can wallpaper your house with letters to show my international history of abilities and commitments to achievements of the academic process. And I hate the OU!!!
<br/>
<br/>What an outlandish and irresponsible comment! What if I said, "those who love the OU are easily persuaded and buy into the concept of rote regurgitation, never question anything in life, and follow like sheep with their noses up the arse of the sheep in front of them"....I wouldnt say anything like this because I am a civic minded and informed writer. I know that students who succeed at the OU, like myself, have been mentored by good tutors. When bad tutors are assigned to a student, no level of your so called "dedication" or "personal tenacity" will matter. Clearly the learning environment is just that, a learning environment. This means there are more elements and influences in successfully completing a degree than just dedication or personal tenacity.
<br/>
<br/>OU is rife with disappointing their customer-students because of their basic disregard for the academic process. This is evident in their substandard so called "tutor" provision.
<br/>
<br/>What a totally presumptuous and arrogant review.