York, England Review

spiders web's review of York, England

“Never thought about going on a short break ghost...”

Written on: 14/12/2009 by spiders web (2 reviews written)

Never thought about going on a short break ghost hunting before receiving a birthday gift voucher inviting me and my friend to York Pavilion hotel, the haunted hotel!

Not really interested in the existence of other life forms 'cos I have enough trouble just looking after myself at the best of times. But hey, the invite was for 3 course dinner, bed & breakfast and after dinner entertainment in the form of an organised paranormal extravaganza!!

I'm in I thought and so was my mate

We arrived at the hotel at 3pm ( check in time) and cautiously approached the reception area. " we've arrived for the haunting breaks event" whispered my mate, due I believe, to embarrassment.! "That's fine", the clerk replied, and proceeded to check us in. "Please meet in the drawing room for 7pm event start" she said as we took the room key and proceeded up the stairs. We unpacked and left the hotel to go into York town. There were great little boutique shops and after a bit of retail therapy we walked to visit the Treasurer's House, one of the most haunted buildings in one of the most haunted cities in the world.( or so they say)

We were back in time to change for 7pm and rushed down to the meeting room. Must admit to having a little fit of the giggles as we started to listen to the event host explaining what we would be doing and how we'd do it. He lost me with the explanation of "orbs" which are supposed to be the first sign of a ghost. "You'll have plenty of time to take photographs all night following dinner and many of you will capture "orbs". We'll download your photos onto our equipment during the evening and we can look at the "orbs" more closely via our projector and screen" Oh yeh?

Dinner was a wonderful experience as by 8pm besides being very hungry I started to relax ( helped by the lager and wine of course)

We met other guests who had also started to "loosen-up" and shared our own ghost stories, however bizarre. (Strange to say that it didn't feel uncomfortable sharing these really personal experiences but guess it was the atmosphere)

Anyway dinner sped by and when finished we returned to the meeting room where we proceeded to learn "dowsing". I hadn't heard of this before but quickly understood that it was a form of communicating with a force or unseen energy. If you haven't tried this then do NOW 'cos it was an exceptionally weird feeling. My brain was questioning what was happening but my being was going with the flow and I really received some correct interesting answers to questions that I asked of the dowsing crystal that was presented to me ( to keep)!!

Later we divided into small groups and trudged off to "haunted" rooms with a team leader & psychic

WOW that's when it all became surreal for me. Who would have thought that I, the undeniable sceptic of all time, would be standing in complete blackness with other people I had only just met, touching a table asking for ghosts to talk to me!!

The table actually moved. It swayed as though dancing to unheard music. My immediate thought was someone's pushing it and I whispered to my mate "stop pushing it". The team leader heard this and said "OK everyone we are each in turn going to remove our hands from the table to check that no one person is affecting this"

This we did, all six of us in turn, and the damn table still did not fall down or loose its momentum. "I know" I thought, "it's on strings" and made a mental note to check once the lights had been switched back on. I did check and the strings had either been taken away extremely quickly ( talking nano seconds) or they did not exist?

That whole episode left me swirling in such a state that whilst enjoying a cigi I thought that perhaps we had been hypnotised?

The evening didn't end there, that was the beginning of other sessions involving fingers on a glass top which also baffled me. The finale for me was seeing something, a flash of some kind, in the corner of my eye, taking a picture and then scrutinising it, with the help of the event team. Sure enough there was a huge blue orb exactly where I had seen this "flash" a moment before

"They couldn't have fixed that" my mate said "could they"?

Well after some sleep, not much, as we were too excited and kept taking photos of the hotel corridors and our room, until 5am, we arose to a beautiful sunny day and wonderful full English before checking out

My thoughts? This was an incredible experience. Something I would not have thought of doing in a million years. The event host and team were brilliant, patient, attentive, well organised and also thoughtful. They managed to treat each guest at a personal level, which is not easy, I imagine?

The whole break was like a well oiled machine. The company offer group events designed especially for a group. We've made a group booking for Italy. A haunted castle that sits on a hill top with centuries of bloody history to investigate. We've made it some-ones Hen night so it better be good. I've designed the whole thing and I know it's going to be unforgettable!!