Pearl Export Review

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

dguy's review of Pearl Export

Pearl Export

“I have recently purchased a secondhand Pearl EX...”

Written on: 30/11/2009 by dguy (1 review written)

I have recently purchased a secondhand Pearl EX (export) wood snare drum. The drum is 5.5 inches deep in a basic black finish. Underneath the EX logo on the badge it says "export series drums" and underneath that it says "heat compression system shell". Okay now you know what i've bought,let me tell you what i have learned from 25 years drumming and living in the North East of England while visiting drum shops in the area for the best part of these years. ALL THIS TALK ABOUT EXPENSIVE WOODS IS RUBBISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT DO YOU THINK THE GUYS IN THE 50'S AND 60'S HAD? Most Guys used whatever equipment they could get their hands on and made it sound as good as possible through careful tuning and putting on the best heads that they could afford at the time. I paid a small amount of money for this poplar wood snare (NOT THAT I WOULD HAVE EVEN CARED ABOUT WHICH WOOD IT WAS 20 YEARS AGO) and i have a drum that to my ear sounds A1. I have put an Evans G2 coated on the top and left the factory snare head well alone.Tuned high it is amazing,Tuned low it is no way as good as my 6.5 supraphonic but still kicks ass. This is a great drum that sounds as good as many i have heard costing 5 or 6 times the price. The top and bottom of what i am trying to say is....

1- Do not let the drum companies fool you into thinking that the quality of the wood is all that matters .

2-Buy what you can afford and learn how to tune a drum.

3-Laugh at your mate whose top of the range kit sounds the same as yours if not worse but his credit card is maxxed out to the limit.

Hope this advice helps those younger drummers who spend too much time reading drum magazines instead of developing your own style of playing with what you have available.

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

• Intermediate

Reviewer's Musical Standard

Jujufroman's Response to dguy's Review

Written on: 31/08/2010

I found this review helpful because... I too just recently purchased Pearl export snare drum for wha I consider, not only affordable for me, very reasonable ($30.oo)considering the condition os this at least ten year old drum as well as getting A new Remo Diplomat top skin, new snare and original, in great shape Pearl SS reso-skin. I'm a sax player and have been for the past six months bitten by the prcussion bug. I've waxed the inside of the shell and have been learning what it means to tune a drum, especially an old, used snare that has no doubt been played a lot. It took me a weeek to learn what those damned indentations on the shell edge were and it's taking me hours to get it to sit as flat as possible with a good sound and I believe it'll get better with time and love.
<br/>
<br/>Your point about the cats in the early years of working out on the snares is right on point. I'd love to know what Art Taylor, Max roach, Franky Dunlop or Blakey or Kenny clarke or Joe Jones played as well as what they paid for it. And they set the pace, you dig.
<br/>
<br/>Keep keepin' real!

Greeny2Son's Response to dguy's Review

Written on: 11/04/2014

I purchased my export kit in 2001 and it is the fattest sounding kit out of all the others that I have played. I agree tuning is everything.

Guest's Response to dguy's Review

Written on: 07/01/2012

Thank you. Your post helps more than you know. I am a beginning drummer & have been taking lessons for abt 9 months now. I recently purchased a Pearl Export 4pc shell w/hardware that also included a Pearl hi-hat pedal & a dw bass drum pedal (cymbals were not included) but the store did throw in a drum throne which was practically brand new. It looks awesome, at least to me. The kit is black but the snare is wine red & also looks practically new, which is why the store gave me the throne because I looked disappointed at having a different color snare. I am just learning that Exports were discontinued & replaced by the Vision series. At first I felt duped because I felt that being a female, I was given a substandard product on purpose because I would not know the difference anyway (Yes, like going to a mechanic). But I am crazy about my kit & plan on keeping it for years to come. I still have a lot to learn but now I accept my purchase & wouldn't have it any other way. Please keep posting.