BMW 3 Series 330 Ci Coupe Review

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

viacom1's review of BMW 3 Series 330 Ci Coupe

“Bought a 2005 330ci Sport in September 2009. A lot of...”

Written on: 16/11/2009 by viacom1 (1 review written)

Bought a 2005 330ci Sport in September 2009. A lot of people seem to say this is an amazing car, and so far I would agree in terms of the performance. On my route to work, just as I'm leaving the town I live in, there's a 90 degree bend which needs to be taken at a careful 15mph, and once round it the road becomes glorious wide straight country road... perfect for kicking down. Personally I find the accerlation exhilarating! I've only owned 3 cars previous to this; A 1980 MKII 1600 Escort, an Astra 2.0 GTE and a Golf 2.o GTI. The Astra was the most fun - light and very quick, but the 330 is in another league. I always wanted a 'big car' with a big engine, in my opinion when engine size reaches 2.5 litre they sound different to 'ordinary' cars. The 330 has a gorgeous rich deep 'hummm' to it. Quite frankly I'd rather listen to the engine sound than the Stereo!

Ok, so it is obvious I love the engine, but I do have a couple of issues with the interior; generally it looks gorgeous. Mine is full black leather and is as comfortable as you could wish it to be. The bits that annoy me are;

Lack of storage. The glove box is ok but I prefer the high-level glove box in the Golf. The 330 has the old-fashioned low level one. Personally, I want to be able to jump in my car and toss a mobile phone and possibly a pint of milk in the cockpit and speed off - but the 330 dosn't really offer this. There's a tiny compartment below the climate contol dash which you can fit your phone in but not much else. My glove box tends to be full with maps etc, and I hate leaving stuff on the passenger seat. There's also a small compartment to the right, under the steering wheel, but this is still small. So, storage is not good.

The on-board computer is not as good as the Golf. The Golf's had 2 modes - one that reset itself every day, and one that was on-going, so you could compare speeds/times/mpg's for a specific journey against the average readings for say the past month. The 330 dosesn't really offer this. If you want to record data for a new journey you basically have to reset the memory and lose all information prior to that point. The Golf also timed the journeys whereas the 330 doesn't - something i really miss.

I find the wiper settings a bit odd. On every car I've owned, if you pull the wiper leaver backwards, it usually jets water and wipes at the same time. The 330 just jets the water and you have to then push the lever up to wipe the water you just sprayed. I don't get the logic there at all?

The interior clock is a let-down. Even more so because there are actually 2 clocks; the first clock is a mode on the computer readout - just below the speedo. But if you're like me, you'd probably have the computer mode set to either current MPGs, or possibly the amount of miles left in the tank. So, the other clock is a mode on the LCD of the stereo - the problem is if you have the stereo LCD in Stereo mode, you have to switch it to time mode. What is also very annoying is when you siwtch of the engine and then want to know what the time is you have to put the keys back in and turn to get the LCD readout's up again - very very annoying!!

The Stereo I have is the BMW Business model. Hate it. The Golf had an Alpine which even though didn't come as standard, wasn't expensive, yet still managed to show a time counter for tracks on a CD which is nice if you want to scan a track back to a specific point. with the BMW business stereo you are completely blind as to the position you are at in a track. I've found I really miss this. There is also no pause button. Love the sterring wheel controls though.

The climate control is again a bit weird. Lets say you have it set to full blowing power - when i park my car i like to turn all ancillary power off before i trun the engine off - personally i think it lessens the chance of a fuse blowing when you turn the engine back on - with the 330 you have to press the fan button continually taking it from full power down to zero just to turn it off - why didn't they just add an on-off button?? Logic is lost here.

Ok, last thing. The Speedo. But this isn't directed at BMW, but at ALL car manufacturers; I like my seat low, and my steering wheel low. I'm 6' tall which is not an unusual height - so why is it I can never see the speedo because the steering wheel is in the way?? In all the cars I've driven, this is an issue that still bugs me to this day - i've been driving for over 20 years.

Summing up, all my annoyances are fairly minor. The 330ci is by far the best car I've ever owned and driven in terms of engine power, comfort and looks. It is one sexy looking car and performs as good as it looks. and it sounds gorgeous too, and these plus points far out-weiggh the lack of compartment space or computer modes!

A quick thing about MPG - I don't use motorways. I use B roads and some A roads. The MPG in the Golf was 39, i'm getting about 25 from the 330 which means I get around 35% less miles than i did from the golf from the same amout of fuel - which for me adds about 14 quid a week on my petrol bill - but well worth it considering the performance you get!

Love the car.

• Practicality

• Reliability

Big Dave Midlands's Response to viacom1's Review

Written on: 01/12/2009

I found this review only somewhat helpful because too much time was spent comparing previous cars to the BMW and not enough about the new car. i.e. ownership costs for servicing and tyres, experience of dealers etc... and although the reviewer did say the annoyances were minor, unfortunately the review was dominted by them!
<br/>
<br/>I have owned Golf MKIII and MKIV gti's and E46 BMW and the two are worlds apart in terms of driver appeal and quality. Yes ok the trip computer may be different on the BMW and the CD player may not be a flashy unit all signign and dancing affair, but if i need to know the time on the move, I wear a watch, and when you are enjoying one of the best driving experiences money can by this side of a Porsche, who honestly cares about what the elapsed track time is, the audio sound quality and build quality more than compensate.

Big Dave Midlands's Response to viacom1's Review

Written on: 18/06/2012

I stand by my comments, most of your review is along the lines of 'My golf used to this, my BMW doesn't' Of course they are different, they are different cars in a different class made by different manufacturers. If you read your owners manual you can have a clock on display by pressing the clock symbol on the radio controls and the fan automatically reduces its speed when you start the car. Also the wipers do automatically work when the washers are engaged. I have owned sevral BMW's over a period fo 15 years and all do this. thanks.

Viacom's Response to viacom1's Review

Written on: 15/03/2010

Response to Big Dave Midlands comment on 1st Dec 2009
<br/>
<br/>Hmmm, I couldn't comment on ownership costs or dealership (Sytner) experiences because at time of writing I'd only owned the car about 8 weeks - but if you read the review again, you will see I did mention petrol cost which was the only ownership cost I could possibly comment on at that time. For the record, I have since bought 2 new rear tyres spec: 255/35 ZR 18 90Y MICHELIN PILOT SPORT PS1 and these cost &pound;232 each - cheaper than Sytner supply them.
<br/>
<br/>The reason I compared it to my past cars was because it is all that I can possibly compare it to isn't it? I mean, if your first ever holiday was to spain, and your second was to france, would you not compare the 2? I thought my comparisons were significant because, considering the reputation BMW's have (i.e. very good), it was interesting that lesser spec cars were better in some areas - possibly BMW might learn from them and build the PERFECT car?!!
<br/>
<br/>If you felt my review was dominated by my annoyances, that is because I didn't feel the need to spend the entire review telling everybody what they already know; that a BMW is a lovely car. Since when did any critic ever praise anything 100%?! And in my defence, my summing up of the car was pretty positive; "an amazing car" "Personally I find the accerlation exhilarating" "gorgeous rich deep hummm" "Love the sterring wheel controls" "best car I've ever owned " "Love the car" - just a few of my comments.
<br/>
<br/>I agree the 'annoyances' i listed are fairly minor, but again, i did say this, and I quote; "all my annoyances are fairly minor".
<br/>
<br/>Regarding the clock; I disagree with you completely. Yes the car is fantastic, but not all of us wear a watch, which is why you don't find it annoying not having a clock on permanent show (my Golf did!). I personally want to be able to check the time without taking my hands off the wheel or my eyes off the road. And yes, if you're pleasure driving on a sunday then time may not be important, but sometimes people have to drive to a schedule which is when timekeeping must surely be significant.
<br/>
<br/>I hope my update helps.