Maplin Review

• Quality of service

• Layout of shop

Guest's review of Maplin

“I often get those Maplin brochures arrive in the post...”

Written on: 15/10/2009

I often get those Maplin brochures arrive in the post with lots tempting products. I have purchased many items from them and have been generally happy with the service until now. I recently purchased an item from Maplin which was faulty. I took the item straight back and expected them to exchange it for a new one. Silly me, Maplin are the only store that don't exchange faulty goods for new. Instead you have to send the item back for inspection by an engineer, this takes a couple of weeks, then they might (or might not) repair it or replace it. Refund? No chance!

Now this might not matter too much if you just spent a few pounds, but when it's almost £200 you spent on an item for a birthday party you might just want to actually use the product for the party? Having explained this at least 10 times to various people in customer services I finally found somebody who promised to call me back in a couple of days when they had inspected the goods, only they never called me back. I was then promised a credit note by Amy Buckley, a customer services manager at Maplin, I was so happy! At last I could get a replacement. Only the credit note didn't arrive at the store and customer services didn't know anything about it (Amy then seemed to vanish from customer services in a puff of smoke, as did everyone else I had spoke to).

So here we are, no product, a hole in my bank balance. 1 hour 30 on the phone to Maplin, no further along with getting the faulty goods replaced.

I have now written to Mr Keith Pacey, he is the big chief at Maplin, maybe he cares about his customers? We'll see.

• Disco lighting equipment