Soltek SL75-DRV4 Review

Daedelus.'s review of Soltek SL75-DRV4

Soltek SL75-DRV4

“The SL75-DRV4 motherboard from Soltek is a relative...”

Written on: 07/02/2002 by Daedelus. (1 review written)

Inexpensive, soft and manual voltage selections for the overclockers, DDR support, stability, software package, ata133, purple.

Maybe because you don't like purple, some capacitors too close to cpu socket which may cause problems with some of the larger fans, no standard sdram support.

General Comments
The SL75-DRV4 motherboard from Soltek is a relative newcomer and soltek have never been known as a major player against the likes of abit and asus, but now I think they have given their rivals something to worry about. After testing this board I have found that it competes with and wins in quite a few benchmark categories against its closest rivals from EPOX (EP-8KHA+) and ASUS to name a couple.

From the moment of bootup its stability came through, bios was simple and effective to use. For the standard user it has stability and a good layout for ease of setup for the first time builder, for the overclocker it has manual voltage and frequency selections through jumpers, though this can be done via bios also. Front side bus can be manipulated up to 300 MHz (150 external cpu clock) and it is stable at these speeds, (when appropriate cooling is used!) That is its main advantage, it is stable in every test and after every tweak I performed.

It has support for the latest harddrives with ata133(notably maxtor drives). It does have onboard ac97 sound and ac97 modem though these are not good enough for hardline gamers, these can be both disabled via the bios.

Bad points are that you have to be careful with installing large fans onto the cpus as a capacitor is very close to the rear side of the socket. The other is for people who want to still use there old sdram sticks, there is no support for these, but with current memory prices you're better off buying ddr now before the prices again rocket.

I bought one of these a few days ago due to my testing results and I do not regret it. Setup was easy with no awkward finger work needed to setup fiddly parts, first time boot up, auto detected everything correctly, cpu speed, drives, memory, FSB voltages needed for CPU etc. It even made my chip 50 MHz faster without any overclocking compared to my previous boards, Abit kt7a-raid to name one, (see other review). WinXP went in with no problems, all drivers detected and installed by OS (later upgraded from soltek). And after stressing the system on benchmark and processor/graphics runs for 8 hours last night it stood up to everything and was totally stable!!! Which is a rare thing with a lot of motherboards nowadays.

If your a newbie get this board because it will handle anything you throw at it, if your an overclocker junkie, get this because its so easy to get maximum speeds out of your processor and its still stable at 150MHz (300 MHz FSB), it is an overclockers dream.

Plus it comes with a standard soltek software package which includes PC-cillin 2000, virtual drive, partition magic 6 and drive image 4.0 all full version.

Dawgsleadtheway.'s Response to Daedelus.'s Review

Written on: 26/02/2002

I just purchased the Soltek board and this review helped ease my mind on my decision. Thank you.

Theoldfather's Response to Daedelus.'s Review

Written on: 15/12/2003

Silly me! forgot to mention which one. The board I bought is the SL-75ERV.

Theoldfather's Response to Daedelus.'s Review

Written on: 15/12/2003

Bought the board. Installed Duron 1.2GHZ CPU & run stock standard. Have had no problems at all.
<br>Now looking at upgrading to an Athlon XP CPU.
<br>Am waiting to hear back from the computer place that built it for me, on what max Athlon I can put in the board. The BIOS is J1.
<br>
<br>Any opinions?

Paul S.'s Response to Daedelus.'s Review

Written on: 31/07/2002

I am a workshop manager daytime and moonlighting as a computer consultant (since -84). The Soltek 75 series AMD motherboards is my first and only choice since I built my first such system. Don't miss standard SDRAM support, you don't drive your car around town with the parking brake engaged, do you? Why would you want to do this with your latest computer filled to the brim with expensive hardware?
<br>The only things I miss on occasion is a ISA slot and/or USB 2.0 support.

Theoldfarter.'s Response to Daedelus.'s Review

Written on: 17/06/2002

I am in the process of having a computer built for me. Reviews like this are convincing me that I won't go wrong by selecting a Soltek board. The one I am interested in is the SL-75ERV.