Digital Direct Security MicroLITE 4 Channel CCTV DVR Review

• Ease Of Use

• Ease Of Installation

• Image Quality

TonyDataMan's review of Digital Direct Security MicroLITE 4 Channel CCTV DVR

“MicroLITE 4 Channel CCTV DVR - DIGITAL DIRECT SECURITY ”

Written on: 08/10/2009 by TonyDataMan (2 reviews written)

MicroLITE 4 Channel CCTV DVR - DIGITAL DIRECT SECURITY

I wanted CCTV at home (two cameras) - I wanted to fit it myself and I wanted advice, I hadn't got a clue about CCTV or how it worked, and I needed a good DVR (Digital Video Recorder). I had been quoted £2000 by a local security firm to supply and fit what I wanted, I thought it very pricy so I looked on the internet and found Digital Direct Security. I liked their site and range of products - thats why I chose them. Bear in mind I have never experienced any CCTV products before.

After a long fact-finding session when the staff asked me exactly what I wanted to do, I was finally advised which system to buy - a DVR, hard drive and two day/night cameras - to match what I wanted to do. There was no attempt to over-sell what I needed.

The advice turned out to be excellent and the kit they recomended works perfectly - arriving three days after I ordered it.

I kept going back to them for how-to info, like configuring my router firewall and adjusting the cameras - they even connected over the internet to help me directly. When I sent a series of questions by email, I received a detailed and very clear reply. I think they were very patient - they must have got a bit fed up with all the calls...!

Thanks to this company, I can now monitor my home - front and back - day or night. The cameras start recording when they detect movement and the interface is very easy to use. I can look through the cameras from the following sources, which in turn I find incredible:-

My TV in the lounge (system menus etc) using a Marmitek Invisible Scart which transfers IR and video to the remote digital control unit which I've hidden in another building.

My Pc upstairs

My wireless laptop (which helps with lining up the cameras)

My Pc at work

Last but not least - my Nokia mobile phone (N82)

I can also capture snapshots and easily save clips to my remote Pc - the system even emails me if there's a loss of signal or an alarm event. How cool is that!

The equipment I bought from them consists of two high quality external Sony cameras, this amazing digital control box with hard drive (DVR), miles of cables(containing signal AND power), power supply with distribution for 4 cameras.

And the price of all this? £525 (including VAT and courier delivery) - and I certainly would not have been supplied with such high quality kit if I had gone locally.

As to service from DDS - They do go out of their way to help.

My advice when dealing with them is - take their advice and buy the best DVR you can afford - the one they supplied was already configured for normal use so there's very little setting up to do - also, buy a bigger hard drive than you anticipated.

I recently recomended them to a friend and they supplied another lot of excellent equipment which went in perfectly. My system continues to watch my home and even sends me emails with pictures atached if someone approaches the front door.

All in all, these DVR's and Digital Direct Security who make them, cannot in my view be faulted. (the DVR was called a ProNET but has since been renamed.It is identical)

• 1-6 Months