Matsui M22DVDB19 Review

• Image Quality

• Sound Quality

swindee's review of Matsui M22DVDB19

Matsui M22DVDB19

“I have recently been looking for a reasonably priced...”

Written on: 05/10/2009 by swindee (1 review written)

I have recently been looking for a reasonably priced LCD television ideal for my bedroom wall. I was looking to spend around £170 on a 19" LCD/DVD Combi. This is because I don't want to have to connect any external sources as in DVD players or Digi boxes cos these need wires. Because I am a bit of a gadget lover I also wanted one with as many features as possible.

I was searching everywhere when I came across the 22 inch, Matsui M22DVDB19 LCD/DVD combi, available from Currys and PC World for £199. I was interested because it had many features such as PC input and USB input. Before I like to commit to buy I always search for reviews online but couldn't find any at all. I have had a Matsui M1602PVR which is a digibox recorder which I have had for about 4 years and was pretty happy with that and have had no problems, so I went out and bit the bullet and bought my self the Matsui LCD/DVD Combi!

I was originally looking at 19" TV's but when you go into a shop the bigger ones always look much more attractive so I wanted a 22" instead.

The TV is superb!! When I was looking at them online I noticed it said that it has a

And I quote from the store website "USB input - record to usb"

Now reading USB input I was confused, why would they describe it as a USB input if you could also record to it. And why is this not advertised on the actual packaging.

The television indeed does have a USB input, which reads music, picture files and also movie files. I have tried it and it plays Mpegs and certain .avi files but not all of them I am still trying to find out which ones it does so I can convert the rest of my movies over to this format to play them all from the USB port.

The television also does allow you to record from the television to the USB device. You can also set it up to allow time shifting. eg, Pausing and rewinding live television

(I must note that with time shifting to do this successfully your usb drive/stick needs to write at a speed of at least 5MB/s or it wont work properly).

Also on the EPG you can set timer record, just scroll along and select what you want to record using the red button on the remote.

The only problem I find is that the television does not have a twin tuner, and so if you record to USB you can not watch another channel. But you can switch to certain other sources except TV or DVD.

The television has a HDMI socket which I have not used yet as I do not have any HD sources as yet, but the picture from my normal Digital aerial, and from the combined DVD Player are superb anyway.

The connections are on the back at the bottom of the unit facing downwards on the unit and include a USB, S-Video, HDMI, VGA, PC Audio, CI slot, Scart Socket, Coaxial, AV in L/R, YPBPR. RF input and a headphone socket. I did have a picture showing these but this is my first time using review centre and didn't know you can not add photos.

The 7 day EPG is just like all others, and it also shows a scaled down version of what you are watching in the top right corner again unlike some other LCD/DVD combis.

I was worried that the sound from the television would be quite tinny, after reading reviews of other Small LCD Televisions, but I was quite surprised it is great and it also uses nicam stereo which helps, and in my room I only need it at a very low level as it is located right above my bed on a wall bracket.

The remote control is also not bad, and has a set of buttons to go directly to your USB library collection. It also has an eject button on the remote which again some other combis do not have.

The only problem I really have with the television is that the Red standby light, and the Blue on light are very bright which is a bit of a distraction so I am going to cover these my self with some tape to tone them down.

Other than that what a fantastic LCD/DVD Combi! Cheap and with everything you need what more could you ask for?

I am very impressed and would recommend it to anyone thinking of purchasing.

Hope this review was useful

Swindee.

• Image Quality

• Sound Quality

• Less than a Week

Time Television Owned

Ahmed112's Response to swindee's Review

Written on: 12/11/2009

I found this review very helpful because... it states exactly the feedback from a user's view of using the TV.

Emma2292's Response to swindee's Review

Written on: 23/01/2010

Hi, i have just purchased his TV and found your review very detailed so I wondered if you could help me.
<br/>
<br/>I have a 320gb external hard-drive which has all al music on, which I normally use with my laptop. When this is plugged into the TV it works fine and all my music is there.
<br/>
<br/>However, the music titles appear as "1.EVAC.11" which would be an Eva Cassidy song, for example. Is there a way I can alter this so that the song titles show up properly, otherwise it's useless for playing files becuase I can't tell what they all are!