Written on: 20/09/2009 by matthewb1 (1 review written)
When the roayl caribbean, independence of the sea cruise was booked I began researching issues like food posioning, sea sickness, sinking,etc (I think I am nuts). I also read lots of reviews about the ship and cruise experiences of others and began to think oh dear what have I paid for..........IGNORE ALL REVIEWS EVEN THIS ONE, well don't ignore this one I am telling it how it felt for us...
Got through the pass port and security checks in 15 minutes and was stood on board the ship simply amazed at the splender and "shopping mall, large hotel fixtures and fittings. The ship was absolutly fantastic, mega clean,toilet rolls always in the public toilets, soap, floors cleaned and within minutes of spillages it had gone!!
Crew were falling over themselves to help with advice, directions or simply smiling and saying hello! Ok we all know the poor sods get a small wage and work 12 hours a day+ for 6 months from staffand yes you pay gratuatities hence the bowing and scrapping effect but don't be mistaken, the staff work very hard to make you feel special, but make you feel they want to make you enjoy yourself.
Day one cruising and we hit the tail end of the hurricain that past through the bay of Biscy. The bloddy ship rocked and rolled a bit and I was ready to jump off and swim back if this was the ten day experience but it soon calmed and you get used to the gentle rolling of the ship to the point where it actually helps you relax and I sleot like a log after the first night.
The captain helped when he said over the speaker system "Ok everyone so we have a little breeze blowing but we have the biggest ship in the world and she can take anything, have a really nice evening and enjoy yourself while the crew will try make the trip as smooth as we can. He didn't lie they did.
I was up watching the sun rise at 7:00am and on the balcony the sea breeze and smell of coffee we had ordered room service arrived with smiles and good mornings. We sat on the balcony and simply reflected on how lucky we were to be on holiday, fit and well and remembered those not as fortunate.
OK your bored to death so here are my tips and comments: -
1. Take no notice of reviews experience it yourself
2. Food fantastic, better than many restauarnts we have been too!!!!
3. Beer and wine only expensive if you are a drunk or ale cart and don't get me wrong, I love a drink and simply accepted my bar bill would be a little refreshing when it came!!
4. Waiters and staff may grovel but the desearve a damned good gratuatity for the care they gave us...the bloddy cruise owners should pay proper wages but we all know the economics and greed factor.
%. Entertainment and various bars etc are oaa fantastic if you make yourself fit in or absorb the atmoshere for what it is
6. Wind jammer is bloody busy at times but it is a self serve cafe, if you cannot be arsed to get dressed and go to the dining rooms to be served muck in like everyone else!!!! The food in wind jammer is as good as some of the restaurants in London I have been too (payed for by my daughter so don't think I'm loaded) One of you find a table, the other then go get some food and then return and let the other go!!! you can keep going back for loads more, I had curry and chappaties, bacon sandwich and two puddings one lunch time!!!(no the boat didn't sink with the extra weight)
7. All dining rooms are fantastic but book your meal time in advance (when you book your cruise not on the ship half hour before) and you can dine and be served in elegant souroundings and service.
Last but not least, read a book, sit on deck and swim, sit in the jacuzzie, talk to people, have a drink
If you don't like something tell them imaediatly and it is changed so fast you won't remember what you complained about.
The bad bits?
Some but don't forget people are human and lets face it you might be a moaning old git, with too much money and have never really experienced a proper hard life or what it is like to work 12 hours a day and for a small wage so don't be too hard eh?
Oh and if you are a moaning set of egits make sure your not on my next cruise or I might be tempted to ask them to add a clay pigeon shoot to the back of the boat and sit you on it and shout pull!!!!
Best wishesand have a lovely cruise it is great for kids but look after them and don't simply dump them
As rated by our community of reviewers
" What a Rip-Off!! " Read More
" Lovely cruise ruined by thomson " Read More
" Ruby Princess Alaska Cruises "Great" " Read More
Written by ChuckLesley
" Pretty,Entertaining,Refreshing,Friendly,Elegant,Classy Time " Read More
Written by Dolphinsmiles14
" Having cruised on several occasions with Princess & Celebrity, we d... " Read More