Royal Caribbean, Independence of the Seas Review

• Food - quality & variety

• Entertainment on board

matthewb1's review of Royal Caribbean, Independence of the Seas

“”

Written on: 20/09/2009 by matthewb1 (1 review written)

When the roayl caribbean, independence of the sea cruise was booked I began researching issues like food posioning, sea sickness, sinking,etc (I think I am nuts). I also read lots of reviews about the ship and cruise experiences of others and began to think oh dear what have I paid for..........IGNORE ALL REVIEWS EVEN THIS ONE, well don't ignore this one I am telling it how it felt for us...

Day one.

Got through the pass port and security checks in 15 minutes and was stood on board the ship simply amazed at the splender and "shopping mall, large hotel fixtures and fittings. The ship was absolutly fantastic, mega clean,toilet rolls always in the public toilets, soap, floors cleaned and within minutes of spillages it had gone!!

Crew were falling over themselves to help with advice, directions or simply smiling and saying hello! Ok we all know the poor sods get a small wage and work 12 hours a day+ for 6 months from staffand yes you pay gratuatities hence the bowing and scrapping effect but don't be mistaken, the staff work very hard to make you feel special, but make you feel they want to make you enjoy yourself.

Day one cruising and we hit the tail end of the hurricain that past through the bay of Biscy. The bloddy ship rocked and rolled a bit and I was ready to jump off and swim back if this was the ten day experience but it soon calmed and you get used to the gentle rolling of the ship to the point where it actually helps you relax and I sleot like a log after the first night.

The captain helped when he said over the speaker system "Ok everyone so we have a little breeze blowing but we have the biggest ship in the world and she can take anything, have a really nice evening and enjoy yourself while the crew will try make the trip as smooth as we can. He didn't lie they did.

Day 2

I was up watching the sun rise at 7:00am and on the balcony the sea breeze and smell of coffee we had ordered room service arrived with smiles and good mornings. We sat on the balcony and simply reflected on how lucky we were to be on holiday, fit and well and remembered those not as fortunate.

OK your bored to death so here are my tips and comments: -

1. Take no notice of reviews experience it yourself

2. Food fantastic, better than many restauarnts we have been too!!!!

3. Beer and wine only expensive if you are a drunk or ale cart and don't get me wrong, I love a drink and simply accepted my bar bill would be a little refreshing when it came!!

4. Waiters and staff may grovel but the desearve a damned good gratuatity for the care they gave us...the bloddy cruise owners should pay proper wages but we all know the economics and greed factor.

%. Entertainment and various bars etc are oaa fantastic if you make yourself fit in or absorb the atmoshere for what it is

6. Wind jammer is bloody busy at times but it is a self serve cafe, if you cannot be arsed to get dressed and go to the dining rooms to be served muck in like everyone else!!!! The food in wind jammer is as good as some of the restaurants in London I have been too (payed for by my daughter so don't think I'm loaded) One of you find a table, the other then go get some food and then return and let the other go!!! you can keep going back for loads more, I had curry and chappaties, bacon sandwich and two puddings one lunch time!!!(no the boat didn't sink with the extra weight)

7. All dining rooms are fantastic but book your meal time in advance (when you book your cruise not on the ship half hour before) and you can dine and be served in elegant souroundings and service.

Last but not least, read a book, sit on deck and swim, sit in the jacuzzie, talk to people, have a drink

If you don't like something tell them imaediatly and it is changed so fast you won't remember what you complained about.

The bad bits?

Some but don't forget people are human and lets face it you might be a moaning old git, with too much money and have never really experienced a proper hard life or what it is like to work 12 hours a day and for a small wage so don't be too hard eh?

Oh and if you are a moaning set of egits make sure your not on my next cruise or I might be tempted to ask them to add a clay pigeon shoot to the back of the boat and sit you on it and shout pull!!!!

Best wishesand have a lovely cruise it is great for kids but look after them and don't simply dump them

• 02/09/09

• Food - quality & variety

• Entertainment on board

Dorothy1's Response to matthewb1's Review

Written on: 21/09/2009

Spot on mate, at long last a review that sums up what the Indy is about. We too sailed in August this year and had a fantastic time. Sod the moaning minnies they need to chill out and get a life. We've booked again for next year and can't wait.

Krazycarzy's Response to matthewb1's Review

Written on: 01/04/2010

I found this review very helpful because...
<br/>We are booked to go on indy in july and afyer reading some reviews we were being to panic. Have saved for a year for this trip and we are hopeing it is going to be the holiday of a lifetime. Your review was great to read and your bad bits comment made me giggle lol. 107 days to go and counting :)

Mike Edwards's Response to matthewb1's Review

Written on: 27/03/2010

All correct, excellent review. We went on the Western Med cruise on 12th Sept 2009 immediately after yours and it was just wonderful. Our first cruise, we said it wouldn't be our last, and we are off to the Canaries on Indy on May 5th. We were going to try another ship but why bother whwn you have found perfection afloat. Cannot wait to get back on board this 5 star floating palace and anyone who can't enjoy themselves on this ship should not cruise. Too big - then book a smaller ship. Don't want kids around - then go on one that is adults only ort as we do during term time. Drinks too pricey - not if you live in the South they're not. I'll pay &pound;6.50 for a free poured malt whiskey any day in my local!!! Food not good - you must be joking. Show me a better Italian than Postano too please if you can, absolutely fantastic service and food out of this world.

Creative's Response to matthewb1's Review

Written on: 19/01/2010

I found this review very helpful because...We sail on the 5th of June this year and like you, I'v read every review thinking the same, have we done the right thing, but after reading yours I can happily say, really can't wait now, thank you so much, will stop reading all those bad reports and start counting the days.

Rickyjohn's Response to matthewb1's Review

Written on: 03/10/2009

Just got back from 14 day cruise on IoS around Med which set off on 12/09. Great weather, calm seas, too much to eat and drink and great company, what more could you ask for ............ if you've never cruised, put it on your to do list before you die!!! The staff on RCCL go out of their way to be helpfull and ensure you have a great holiday. We'll be back............again!

Scott05's Response to matthewb1's Review

Written on: 03/10/2009

We to enjoyed our cruise in July and have booked again this will be our third time on indy ,theirs something for everyone the food was lovely and so were our waiters and waitresses ,my daughters 14 and cant wait to go again nor can we .