Leeds City Credit Union www.leedscitycreditunion.co.uk Review

Hatski's review of Leeds City Credit Union www.leedscitycreditunion.co.uk

“Credit Unions, by definition, are there to help...”

Written on: 07/09/2009 by Hatski (2 reviews written)

Credit Unions, by definition, are there to help less-fortunate members of the community have access to banking facilities but it seems that times have changed and "money talks". Not only do they insist that to be a member one must make a minimum monthly deposit but they have now started charging weekly for the privilege of being ripped off.

I say this because a) they charge you £10 just to close your account! and b) because the law states that a credit union can only legally charge a maximum of 12% on any credit - which Leeds City Credit Union do as standard, no reduction, no discount.

Here is just one example of bad customer service: I had had several 'HandiLoans' from them before and went into the Main Office in order to ask for £150 to see me until the end of the month when my paycheck arrived. I waited in line for 20mins and was then asked a barrage of questions (this in addition to the form I'd filled in), some very personal and private, by a 19-yo cashier, in front of the entire queue. As I have very few outgoings she questioned why I needed the £150 and ventured that I must surely have more outgoings than I had stated & to go away and think about it. Outrageous!

Because of these factors I have closed my account with LCCU. Knowing from experience that this often seems daunting and indeed certain banks make the opening of an account, unless you have a perfect credit history, very difficult, I would recommend that you try a smaller Building Society which has Current Account facilities first, for example: the Leeds BS is very good, as is the Scarborough BS.

• Credit Union