La Vie En Rose Review

theangryhellcat's review of La Vie En Rose

La Vie En Rose

La Vie en Rose (also known as 'La m me') is a French...”

Written on: 03/09/2009 by theangryhellcat (46 reviews written)

La Vie en Rose (also known as 'La m me') is a French film made in 2007, telling the story of the life and career of Edith Piaff, a French singer who started life in poverty but became very successful in the 40s and 50s. It is an unflinching portrayal of her turbulent rise to fame, which includes violence, morphine addiction and tragic loss.

Not being a huge fan of the music of Piaff (which is incidentally a stage name, la M me Piaff meaning 'Little Sparrow' or 'Kid Sparrow), I wasn't in a huge rush to see this film. However, I found myself completely absorbed by the story. The narrative jumps about in time, which effectively builds intrigue and it is all very well acted. The music in the film is used to brilliant effect and really increased the emotional impact of the songs, even to someone like myself, who does not like her music.

I'd definitely recommend this film, although it is quite emotionally draining, so if you want to switch off and relax I'd suggest watching something else!

• Marion Cotillard