Maya, Surbiton Review

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

speakout's review of Maya, Surbiton

“Maya looks quite imposing from the outside with it's...”

Written on: 03/07/2009 by speakout (86 reviews written)

Maya looks quite imposing from the outside with it's modern black and white signage but I think that is because it is quite different from anything else around it so it stands out which is going to get it noticed. When Maya opened recently I did question the reasoning behind another Indian restaurant opening up in Surbiton when there is already 2-3 to choose from within 5 minutes walk, but after visiting Maya for the first time last week, I personally think the competition should be worried. Judging by the fact the restaurant was also full with other diners waiting to be seated, goes some way to indicate that the restaurant has been a hit and it'll be interesting to see who wins out and if all the places can stay open in the face of new competition.

The decor is contemporary and comfortable and the lighting is good which makes for a great ambience. I like the colour scheme in Maya and think it works well but considering how big it is, think it would look a little better if it was broken up with the odd big plant or two - but just a personal opinion! The service is also very good and the staff are attentive and helpful. When we had been seated, a waiter swiftly brought us our drinks and some poppadoms with some really nice chutneys. One in particular stood out which I have never had before which was a bowl of sticky coconut. Lovely. The main chicken course was also very good and my partners lamb dish was cooked to perfection. The meat was really soft and tender. The side dishes were also very good and we both said there and then that we would be coming back.

All in all a very good meal for a reasonable price and I would definitely recommend Maya to anyone.

• Indian

Food Type

• First time

How often do you eat here?

• Suits all