Orbital Travel, MS Monica Review

• Food - quality & variety

• Entertainment on board

jmarlow's review of Orbital Travel, MS Monica

“My husband and I travelled on board the Ms Monica in...”

Written on: 03/07/2009 by jmarlow (1 review written)

Only thing we could find is the mooring next to other boats, but even that was better on the Monica as they dock out of town where there are fewer boats and less diesel fumes.

General Comments
My husband and I travelled on board the Ms Monica in June of this year, we booked with Future Travel who were very helpful and attentive from the first contact, even putting up with my endless questions concerning the Nile cruise program. The Cruise itself was booked via Orbital Travel by Future Travel.

The flight was comfortable, although the seat pitch on Thompson could have been a little better, but for a four odd hour flight it was not too bad. Upon arrival into Luxor airport, we quickly found the Orbital rep who placed the visa stamp into our passports and quickly sent us through immigration. Once we have identified our luggage another Orbital rep just outside the airport, placed out cabin numbers onto our cases and we never saw them again until we checked into our cabin.

Once on board, the grand stair case in the reception area certainly has the WOW factor, the lounge was spacious and located behind reception where the guides held their welcome meeting and explained much about the boat, the tours and how the holiday would run. All of which was very informative and helpful. On board they operate a tipping system which I am told is common place when cruising, the guide recommended that we should tip £4.00 per person per day for everybody (including the guide) on board. Which seemed to us, a much easier way of dealing with something us English rarely do at home? Anyway, it wasn ' t compulsory just ' recommended '. We paid early during the cruise and were never asked for any other tipping monies while on the boat.

Everything about the boat was very nice, the cabin was spacious and well appointed, we had a cabin on the third level towards the front. The views were not great in Luxor as boats were moored either side. But I am told this is common place on the Nile due to the number of boats licensed to sail.

The food in the dinning room which was located on the lower deck was very good considering that they served full buffet for lunch and dinner and did not have pork or lamb to increase the variation. But the food was plentiful and well presented and cooked.

Generally speaking the boat was very good value for money, and exceptional once you put the tours into the mix. I do confess to having a great interest in the times of the pharaohs and have long wished to do something in Egypt to see first hand the temples and tombs along the Nile. It has been the holiday of a lifetime for me, nothing could prepare you for the detailed drawings and paintings in the Valley of the Kings and workmen, or the sheer splendour of the Temple of Ramses the second at Abu Simbel.

In a perfect holiday I could fault nothing and recommend the Nile cruise to anybody with a sense of history, Future Travel for their knowledge and patience, the Ms Monica for its service and overall quality.

Booking via agent (Classicholidays4U) was easy, sales agent knowledgeable and helpful.

Boat had the WOW factor and was spotlessly clean. Our Guide "Magic" was wonderrful and made the history come alive. One of the best holidays we have ever had.

• June 2009

• Food - quality & variety

• Entertainment on board

Cheshiremoz's Response to jmarlow's Review

Written on: 05/10/2009

I found this review very helpful because... IT WAS INFORMATIVE, HAVING ALSO BOOKED THRU FUTURE TRAVEL- MY WIFE and I ARE SAILING ON THE 10th MARCH-2010. I WILL BE SUBMITTING MY REPORT ON OUR RETURN.