Canon F-1 Review

• Photograph Quality

Guest's review of Canon F-1

Canon F-1

“I bought my 38 year old Canon F1 with a titanium focal...”

Written on: 09/06/2009

Indestructable in the hands of someone who takes reasonably good care of it. The focal plane shutter hasn't detiorated after 38 years which involved long term use in moist, jungle environments because it is not made of woven fabric but durable metal foil.

Nothing is automatic.

General Comments
I bought my 38 year old Canon F1 with a titanium focal plane shutter at the NKP BX in Apr. 1971. I carried it all through SEA (SVN, Cambodia, Laos) and took a significant number of my pics. as a combat pilot with it. It has worn like iron and, even after 1000s of photo shoots with it on most of the continents, it has required only one minor repair (battery contact). I am currently looking for a replacement 625 battery for it. Even though I have too many modern day digital cameras to count, I still take my best stationary, set up shots with the "fail safe" F1. You can see some of the early pics. I took with it in Laos at the www.ravens.org web page by selecting the "Larry Williams" tab on the site.

• Over 1 Year

Time Camera Owned

• Photograph Quality

Guest's Comment

Written on: 16/08/2011

I have recently rediscovered film photography after an eight year break from my Nikon FM and FEs. I have owned a T90 for a few weeks and now looking at the F1 - exactly what my idea of a camera is and thanks to Larry Williams great review I have one ready for me to collect from my local camera store. Thanks Larry and I liked to Raven pics. What lenses did you use with the F1. Dave Sharp