Norwegian Cruise Line, Norwegian Jade Review

• Food - quality & variety

• Entertainment on board

Guest's review of Norwegian Cruise Line, Norwegian Jade

“Well well well, Norwegian Jade. We travelled as a...”

Written on: 30/05/2009

The ship was really nice, all carpets and colours around the whole ship were quite strange but quite cool too. Also the food in the restaurants we ate in were very good, including the Chinese pay extra restaurant, the main restaurants and the buffet were all really good considering we were expecting them to be bad after a cruise around America on the Norwegian Jewel. The meals on the Jewel were not very good at all compared to other cruise lines like Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. The service in main restaurants was extremely good, although in the 'Blue Lagoon' the words extremely good are far from it, more like 'appalling', probably because we were younger than most people, as explained below.

Hmm, well.. As I am only 16, I still like to have abit of fun e.g. having games of ping pong and golf with younger cousins !! On the Norwegian Jade, its "Against the rules to play ping pong or golf after 8 o' clock" I mean, believe me i've been on many cruise ships most of them being with all four of my cousins and we have never encountered this. We all thought it was extremely pathetic that the crew actually came to collect the ping pong bats at 8 o' clock? One night they blaimed it on 'bad weather conditions' One guy said it was too windy..... there was no wind? We basically laughed in his face it was that pathetic.
Other bad points was drink prices, i mean it didn't really bother me because of course my mum and dad payed =D but i'm writing this review on behalf of all my family which sailed on the ship and they thought it was abit ridiculous, our bill came to $900 for a five night cruise, and considering that was only for four people, thats alot, and they aint no alcoholics! I dont think : / Anyway there was six of us kids, and we had a drinks package (unlimited soda drinks) which was about $6.50 per day so that was cool with us (:
Service, well, I seemed to get treated like a small child.. waiters ignored me and my cousin and not because we as messing around or anything I think the waiters and bar staff just thought we was invisible or something! Because it's funny how when we were with our parents we were served straight away? One guy wash washing glasses right in front of us and still didn't acknowledge us!!

General Comments
Well well well, Norwegian Jade. We travelled as a family of ten, we live near Leeds, West Yorkshire. We have sailed out of Southampton on serveral occasions, we have always driven to Southampton the day before the ship departs, which I would always advise, we have departed late many a time when accidents have happend on the motorway and people have being late to the docks or even missed the ship, but this time for the Norwegian Jade we decided to drive down the day the ship left for the simple reason that the hotels down south had rediculous price tags at the time. So anyway we set off on a journey which should take around four to five hours, we arrived at the docks for eleven to check-in for twelve mid-day. Although we got so extremely bored so we went to see if check-in opened early and it did, it took us around ten minutes to check-in and thats it.. we got straight on board! We couldn't believe it as a few years back we went on the P&O Oceana and it took us roughly around four hours to get on board.

First impressions of the ship, well, it looked fantastic! As you do, we headed straight for the FOOOD! In the main restaurant, great food, great service.. what more do you want? As we explored the ship, we found it very clean and decorative... but as the days went on me (16) and my cousins of the same age got slightly bored. As we had travelled on much bigger ships including the Royal Caribbeans 'Voyager Of The Seas' with rock climbing walls and ice skating rinks and so much more. But never the less it was a fantastic ship and we had a great holiday. I do have to mention though the fact the crew members take away the ping pong bats and balls, along with golf clubs and balls after 8 o'clock is abit pathetic. Anyway, back to the ship! Although I have travelled on the Norwegian Jewel in the past, I almost forgot about the Bridge Viewing Area luckily I did remember before we disembarked, its really interesting up there, you can see the captain and all the bridge crew it's really interesting, if you do travel on Norwegian Jade dont forget this part !

The shows on the jade, I didn't see :) but I was told by the adults in our party that the Irish Dancing show was really good and worth seeing, I did see a comedian on board he was fantastic and again well worth going to see.

From reading other reviews, people make out that small children on board get in the way, well I totally disagree yes there was lots of them but on a five night cruise I saw them all walking around with the kids club once. And this was in the school holidays. Also in other reviews somebody commented on the size of the pool 'The size of a postage stamp' well I disagree with this too, the pools are smaller than local swimming pools on land obviously what do you expect its a cruise ship, but the pools are a good size, and i'm a keen swimmer so I go in lots of different pools.

Disembarkation, no problem what so ever, we was off within half an hour of docking. On previous cruises i've sailed on disembarkation has been a night mare waiting around in public rooms on the ship to get off, because you are thrown out of your stateroom at 8 o'clock it was ridiculous. But I think because the port of Southampton are dealing more and more with bigger cruise liners, the port have got there act together and are handling large amounts of passengers carefully, embarking and disembarking them extremely quickly. Our party actually got tickets to disembark immediately after the ship docked at 8am and to carry off our own luggage instead of the port dealing with luggage, this saved time and enabled us to set off home early enough to get home early and relax, I would really recommend this.

Well, I think thats just about it, nothing else to say really apart from that I really would recommend sailing on the Norwegian Jade, and if you dont fancy the Jade look for another ship in the NCL fleet, they are all very similar and offer basically the same things. If you do decide to travel on the Jade I wish you a pleasant cruise, I'm sure you will have a holiday to remember with NCL.

• 24th - 29th May 2009

• Food - quality & variety

• Entertainment on board

Nadiah1981's Comment

Written on: 15/06/2010

I found this review helpful because it was detailed and listed the good and bad points. It wasn't repetitive. there was new information that nobody else bothered to mention.