Eco Solutions X-Tex Textured Coatings Remover Review

mattsvs's review of Eco Solutions X-Tex Textured Coatings Remover

☆☆☆☆☆

“Due to the expense of Eco Solutions X-Tex Textured...

Written on: 06/05/2009 by mattsvs (1 review written)

None

Very expensive. This wouldn't be of so much concern if it "did what it says on the tin". However, I founf it completely innefective and hence a waste of money.

General Comments
Due to the expense of Eco Solutions X-Tex Textured Coatings Remover I only bought it after careful consideration, and after having read the excellent reviews on this web site. Unfortunately it just didn't do what it was supposed to do.

Our lounge ceiling has a deep artex grooved fan pattern, and is about 3.5X7 metres. I suspect it's also been painted over several times as well.

Due to the large area I bought the large 25L tub for about £95.

I pasted the entire ceiling carefully and generously, and covered it all immediately with thin plastic sheeting. This took about 3 hours. I then left overnight (about 10 hours).

In the morning, I started trying to scrape it off. It was immediately obvious that it had had virtually no effect. It appeared to have softened the surface slightly, but that's all. For tough jobs the instructions suggest leaving overnight after having covered it with plastic film, scraping off, then applying a second coat. Well - it would have taken at least 2 days just to do the first scrape-off of the entire ceiling.

Within 15 minutes I had come to the conclusion that this product just wasn't going to work for me, so I started steaming it off instead. This is a very tough job, and it took an entire day just to do less than 1 third of the area. And the quality of the plaster underneath the artex is such that it's going to need a plaster skim anyway.

I'm now getting quotes from plasterers to skim the entire area. In hind sight, this is what I should have done in the first place.

Reading the other reivews on this website, other people have evidently found the product does what it says it does. However, I'd recommend anyone considering X-Tex to think VERY carefully before using it - you may find it's a lot harder work than you think.

Pbp's Response to mattsvs's Review

Written on: 19/05/2009

I think your problem must have been the type of paint that was coated over the artex. Now this product is the best product you can buy to remove artex, but you have to remember it is not a paint stripper and thats where your problem lies. <br/><br/>X-Tex will soften the paint, but some vinyl silks contain plastic polymers and are a real swine to remove. And of course removing anything is never an exact science. Did you try and test area first?<br/><br/>I have used this product on easy jobs and hard jobs, and yes some jobs are a nightmare, but this product does make it easier. I think you are wrong to say this product didnt do what it said on the tin as it does exactly what is says on the tin. You just had a real tough job to do.