Philip Pullman, The Ruby in the Smoke Review

alexc46d's review of Philip Pullman, The Ruby in the Smoke

Philip Pullman, The Ruby in the Smoke

“Philip Pullman's The Ruby in the Smoke overall plot is...”

Written on: 21/04/2009 by alexc46d (1 review written)

Even though I was disappointed with the book I would say that there were lots of good points. Such as how well researched the victorian setting was with cabs and wharfs etc. The plot must have taken a good deal of thinking to work out as it was so deep. But I think it would have been a better book if the plot was simplified.

Much like the good points I have good amount of bad points I thought that it was very easy to loose interest in the book in the early stages as the build up to events seemed more like stalling to make the book longer. I thought that it was also very very hard to work out what was going on. Even now that I have read it I still don't properly no what the mutiny is or why the ruby has any convenience. I think that the book should be made more clear. Possibly even rewritten. I think that it would have been better to have separate books one about the father and one about the ruby. So for these reasons that is why I am only giving the book 6 out of 10.

General Comments
Philip Pullman's The Ruby in the Smoke overall plot is fairly hard to understand but it is about a girl finding the truth about her fathers death but gets caught up in a whole different story. It took me a fairly long time to read it mainly because the beginning half was hard but the second half was very good. I must say though I expected better from the author after reading his dark materials as through out the book I was having to re-read paragraphs to find out what was going on. It was as good as having a cup of tea in Brighton and then robbing a bank in australia! It was overall a good read but it wasn't very well written at all.

• Paperback

Format