Carrera Gryphon Review

Guest's review of Carrera Gryphon

Carrera Gryphon

“I have the Carrera Gryphon for 12 months now and use...”

Written on: 16/04/2009

Great value for money (Although if I wasn't able to replace spokes myself this might be different)
Comfortable, easy to ride, All I need from a bike

Poor rim tape and poorly deburred spoke holes
Spokes not up to the job

General Comments
I have the Carrera Gryphon for 12 months now and use it for daily commute and done about 1400 miles. Great bike for the price and value for money. Two niggles though.

1. I got a puncture about 6 months ago and on further investigation found that rim tape has slipped exposing the holes for the spokes. These holes had sharp edges and were not deburred. I had to put on a second rim tape to solve.

2. At just over a year old it has started to break spokes in the rear wheel. It is happening regulaty now and have replaced 5 with a sixthe just broken. At 16 stone I am bigger than your average cyclist but not than big, so I would have expected the spokes to last a bit longer. I don't abuse the bike and have done no off road and no pot hole damage that I can remember