Sony DCR-PC120 Review

• Sound Quality

• Battery Life

Maff.'s review of Sony DCR-PC120

Sony DCR-PC120

“I bought this Sony DCR-PC120 digital camcorder after...”

Written on: 22/01/2002 by Maff. (1 review written)

I bought this Sony DCR-PC120 digital camcorder after having my Digital8 camera stolen. I looked at the IP7 and after reading a review decided against it. The camera is really comfy to hold, it isn't as heavy as the PC110 or 100. The controls are all easily accessible once you get used to holding the camera. The zoom function takes a little getting used to as it is very sensitive. I am used to the nightshot and it is the same as my old D8. I like the fact that digital effects can be added on playback so you can record normal and add the effects afterwards. The digital stills are very good quality and the flash and laser focus are a very good idea.

It has everything I want in a camcorder and for what I will need, i cannot find any faults although I am sure that it won't be everybody's cup of tea.

14276_Craig.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 28/02/2002

Very helpful, thank you.

Pappu's Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 24/09/2004

Hi I have a Sony 120E, can anyone tell me how to transfer the movies I have on tape to my PC so that I can burn DVDs later?
<br>I am running Win XP and it has picked up the device but do I need special s/w for it?
<br>Also, I use the USB cable supplied with the camera for uploading images from the memory stick, will the samme cable do?
<br>thnx

94108_Frank.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 02/05/2003

Found out this camcorder has been discontinued
<br>on a website. A replacement MIGHT be coming
<br>out soon, PC130. Does anyone have any information
<br>on tbis model. The website said new models usually apear outside the USA first like Japan
<br>and the Far East.

Ml.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 28/03/2003

Do you use a PC or a Mac...?

76280_Lj.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 28/02/2003

I am trying to decide on a camcorder to buy for my athletic team. I want to make a highlight video for the athlete to send to college coaches for recruiting purposes. I want to be able to save this video on a DVD or be able to have the option of sending through email or even put in on a website for college coaches to view. I know I have to be able to connect this camcorder to a computer in order to do this. Is this possible with the PC120? Or does anyone know what I should buy?

71631_Steve.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 09/02/2003

It is very helpful in helping me choosing the right camcorders but i made a huge mistake as to get one from Japan which means the whole camera is in Japanese language. Does anyone know if i can change the language in the menu somehow, i have already got hold of the manual in English and got pretty detail picture of the english version but really would help if i can change the language of the operating system inside the camera :)

G*zu$.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 06/02/2003

Yes I have two words about the Canon MVX2i, and that is -> Stay away !!! I just bought this camera and it took me 10 minutes to figure out that this thing is going straight back to the deeler. That's why I'm here. The Canon MVX2i has all the features and inputs/outputs that you could need but.....this thing is so noisy when it's operating !!!... rendering it litterally useless and worthless !! It's internals are so noisy that it gets picked up by the mic and sounds terrible in playback ! And I don't mean just a little, you hear it clearly !! I wouldn't give one dollar for this thing. Also they don't include a firewire cable, but that is NOT why I'm writing this. I couldn't care less about that cable, but the camera is useless unless you don't need sound on your videos. I did try to find a review on the internet before I bought it, but could not find anything. But then after I ordered it (a day before I received it)I read a review in a magazine (don't remember the name of it...sorry) and they stated exactly the same. You have to use an external mic in order to make use of this camera. Is that unbelievable or what ?? I mean CANON !??! If that's not enough I also found it quite bulky to hold and the zoom button should be placed a little more "backwards" on the camera.
<br>
<br>Hope this helps some of you. For me the MVX2i was a terrible experience...

62411_Caz.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 04/01/2003

Like JC, I am also desperately trying to decide between the PC120 and the Canon MVX2i so is there anyone out there that can make the decision for us??!!

58539_Jc.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 17/12/2002

I am trying to decide between the Sony DCR-PC120 and the Canon MVX2i.
Has anyone made a comparison between both?

58416_Amit.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 16/12/2002

There is USB to download still pics and small mpegs from the memory stick. To download DV movies onto your PC, you need to use the firewire port and a suitable software. The camera comes with an application MGI WAVE for Windows, but it is quite difficult to use.

Jud.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 15/12/2002

Good review - was really unsure between the IP7 and this model. Would still like to know if this model has a USB1 connection like the IP7 so I can connect it to my laptop and download movies onto my website via broadband connection.

46821_Maff.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 29/10/2002

I will be using the Bluetooth feature later this week (just ordered a bluetooth mobile phone to email pictures from abroad) and will review it for you.

46800_Amit.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 29/10/2002

Your summary is very helpful, thank you.

46419_Bob.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 27/10/2002

PC110 has larger lens than PC101.
PC115 has better CCD & 1.5 Mpic still photos;
PC120 also called PC120BT has Blue Tooth, a feature probably a waste of money.

45753_Amit.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 23/10/2002

Thank you for the information. I got partially what I needed to know.

I am looking at the Sony dv camcorders and I am still confused about the basic differences between the following models

DCR-PC101
DCR-PC110
DCR-PC115
DCR-PC120

Can anyone summarize or has a preference on one over the other?

35224_Alex.'s Response to 10234_Maff.'s Review

Written on: 28/08/2002

Yes thanks for the review. I am going through the fact-finding process of buying a digital camcorder, and it's nice to read a review that tells me what I want to know.