Tenby, Hammonds Park Hotel Review

allen2502's review of Tenby, Hammonds Park Hotel

“You get what you pay for? Not in this case, it states...”

Written on: 31/03/2009 by allen2502 (4 reviews written)

short strool from the town.

Old and dated, in need of some TLC

General Comments
You get what you pay for? Not in this case, it states 3* hotel? In my view, A 2* at best.

The host was very pleasant. The hotel itself was very dated, looked like it had been decorated in the 70's with drab wall coverings and carpets which had seen better days, and every where you turned there was plug in air fresheners (cheap ones) which left a rancid smell in your nostrils and throat.

The room we had (room 2) was small and Claustrophobic, with a four poster bed? Which was just a cheap pine bed set with net curtains, not what I would call a 4 poster, all it did was close the room in and make it look even smaller than it was, and the furniture was small wicker chairs, not very comfortable. The heater was an electric wall mounted one which was only on when your key was in the socket? so warming the room up was out of the question, also this was the only heater, so the bathroom was cold, I wish that was all that was wrong with the bathroom, on first appearances it looked very clean? But as the smell from the air fresheners in the corridor finally left your nostrils? The smell of damp hit home, to start with we thought it was the sink, so left the hot tap running to flush it down. It made no difference. So in the end had to settle for closing the bathroom door and pretending we didn't have one.

The television was an old out dated portable, didn't even have a remote, could be that remotes were not invented when this set was made, had basic channels, 1,2,3 and s4c for the welsh amongst us. I am welsh but unfortunately I don't speak very good welsh.

The hospitality tray wasn't very hospitable, had a kettle 4 little cartons of milk two teabags, two coffee and some sugar. The cups were small and without saucers, the kettle was the same as the kettle I bought when I rented my first flat back in the 80's but it was clean. BUT not a biscuit in sight, luckily I am a hardened traveller and had a pack of biscuits in my bag, and a cake from the shop on the way.

The linen provided was clean, which was about all you could say really as they were almost as old as the hotel.

NOW ... The good bit. Breakfast.

The dinning room was nice; breakfast was lovely, a little sparse with choice BUT good quality items, three cereals, fruit bowl, jams, and a basic cooked English. But very tasty.

Above average cooked breakfast.

BUT, the Cat? Yes the cat which seemed to wonder in and out of the dinning room? why? This is a place for food to be eaten and in my view there should be no animals of any kind in there? Two legged or four.

I did complain about the smell in my room when we checked out, and he promptly came to the room with me to investigate my claims? Unfortunately he seemed not to have a sense of smell, and could smell nothing whilst I had to stay at the door way as from there the smell was still too much? His answer was? Basically to see if anyone else complains in the future? And if they do? He will most probably tell them he can smell nothing and he will keep an eye on it and see if anyone else complains?

Christinae's Response to allen2502's Review

Written on: 15/02/2010

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay there as much as my partner and I. I stayed in a different room to yours, but all I can say in relation to whether your review has made any difference is that there was no smell in our bathroom/bedroom, we had a very modern TV and the decor didn't look out-dated at all. Maybe it has recently been modernised.
<br/>
<br/>I will defintely stay there again.