Elizabeth Laird, The Garbage King Review

Guest's review of Elizabeth Laird, The Garbage King

Elizabeth Laird, The Garbage King

“The Garbage King was first read by me in the summer....”

Written on: 03/03/2009

I liked the development of the two main characters. I enjoyed the way that Dani becomes more confident and finds himself. I read the book quite quickly and recommended it to teenage children in my class.

The story is written for children and I haven't got a criticism. Personally, I would like to read a book aimed at an adult audience that has a raw realism to it.

General Comments
The Garbage King was first read by me in the summer. It was a last minute decision to grab the book from my city library. I saw that it was a brand new book and I would be the first to read that copy. I read it quickly and didn't want it to end. I think that it skipped from one story to another very enjoyably. The part where the boys become gang members and find their talents left me wanting more. I have used this book as the class novel for my English class. My students have found the characters easy to follow and understood. The story provokes debate on a range of issues.

• Paperback

Format