Siemens M35 Review

• Reception

• Style

Mike.'s review of Siemens M35

Siemens M35

“I've had my Siemens M35 phone for about 6 months and...”

Written on: 15/01/2002 by Mike. (1 review written)

Small, Rugged, good battery life.

Menu system is terrible, small display, choice of NORMAL ringtones is poor.

General Comments
I've had my Siemens M35 phone for about 6 months and the menu system continues to annoy me. It's just not logical - requiring far too many button-presses in most cases. Things are hidden away in strange places. Nokia have got the best menu system easily, in my opinion. I had an Ericsson for a while and the menus on that were pretty bad too. Maybe the newer models are better?

Am I the only person who wants a normal 'telephone' style ringtone? There's some funky tunes in the M35 but I dont much want to look like an idiot when my phone rings. The selection of 'normal' ring tones is hopeless in most mobile phones in my opinion. I've been forced to try and emulate a sensible 'ring' by using the composer which is far more difficult to use than on other phones I've tried.

It's a shame because I like the look and feel of the thing - I just cant recommend it because it's a swine to use. You CAN get used to anything, however.

More negativity: the message list fills up after about 4 texts, it seems, and WHY is there no 'delete all messages' function?? You have to keep clicking through and deleting them one by one + the 'battery low' alarm goes off in a horrendous fashion even when all tones are switched off! Go figure. It's also slow - Flashing up 'Please wait' in many instances. There's so much wrong with this phone that it's winding me up just thinking about it all! I better stop there.

The phone is well built tho, and feels like it'll take a battering without complaint. It's good value too! Good value for a headache. I hate this phone - give me a Nokia any day...

Mike.

• Reception

• Style

9926_Tobias.'s Response to 9574_Mike.'s Review

Written on: 18/01/2002

Please tell me where this phone requires noticeably more button presses than a Nokia (ie 3330). From what I can see this phone has an even more initiutive interface than a 3330.
<br>
<br>Ok, I agree, the SMS feature leaves things out that you want, for example the phone has no internal memory; all messages are stored on your SIM card. If you have a 4K sim card it will only allow you to store 5-6 texts. 8K will let 17 fit. Where I live there is actually an operator with a 64K sim card (>50 texts).
<br>
<br>But also remember that this phone has a calendar which really comes in handy. You can use it to keep a schedule; you can literally dump your Palm if you drag one around...

11961_Hagenuks Fan.'s Response to 9574_Mike.'s Review

Written on: 06/02/2002

What's the deal about Siemen's or Nokia's menu system? The Hagenuk (now defunct) GlobalHandy released 5 years ago allows the user to fully customisable the menu structure! So everybody will be happy with their own personalised menu. I have not seen anything comparable since....sigh....

10156_Tobias.'s Response to 9574_Mike.'s Review

Written on: 21/01/2002

Hi, thank you for commenting on my review.
<br>But something that may make you a bit happier owning this phone is that you can press numbers to navigate in the menu system. I.e press [MENU][2][6][1][SELECT] to enter the alarm activation.
<br>
<br>Just count the "place" where the menu you want to access is. I.e Internet = 1 Office&Fun = 2 Messages = 3 etc. It is a shame Siemens haven't noted this in their manual.

10061_Mike.'s Response to 9574_Mike.'s Review

Written on: 20/01/2002

Ok Tobias, for instance the ALARM. To activate it...I'm counting 11 presses, minimum. And that's because I know where it is, and I'm scrolling UP from the 'Office & Fun' menu instead of down the list which would make it 14. My main point here is that they've hidden the alarm under 'Office & Fun'>'Chronometer'>'Alarm'! It's in there along with the Stopwatch and Countdown timer. Why not put the Alarm Clock along with the other clock settings??!! The other clock settings are under 'Setup'>'Clock' which is 18 button presses when you scroll down the menus. The Nokia has a 'CLOCK' menu on the MAIN MENU which I can access in 5 clicks. In there, you've got ALARM CLOCK as the first option then Clock Settings, Date Settings, Stopwatch, countdown,etc. Now that is what I call LOGICAL. (The Nokia also has 'REMINDERS' too.) I notice in alot of these raving reviews for the M35 that people are saying stuff like "Everyone's got a Nokia.." etc. While I agree it's good to be different/original, I want a phone that WORKS well, not something to impress my mates with in the playground...