Nissan Pulsar GTiR Review

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Yas.'s review of Nissan Pulsar GTiR

“Nissan GtiR, fastest 2.0 turbo intercooler, 4x4, 16v...”

Written on: 14/01/2002 by Yas. (1 review written)

this car goes like a bullet. standard it runs 220bhp, mine runs between 220 - 355bhp, it leaves everything for dead. this car reaches 0 - 60 in 4.5 and a 1/4 mile in around 12.9. which is faster then most.
here in the uk this car is quite rare and it is very eye catching, beats most subaru's.

bit pricey, drinks fuel like a camel drinks water, and if something goes wrong parts may be cheap but labour is a nightmare.

General Comments
Nissan GtiR, fastest 2.0 turbo intercooler, 4x4, 16v DOHC in its league.........

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Goosie.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 08/02/2002

4.5 secs to 60 in standard form-don't think so. Add at least another second to that. The MR2 Turbo has a better 2L turbo engine, is faster and more reliable. And it's MUCH better looking than your ugly Sunny.

Kingiseeu's Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 27/11/2005

I am thinking about trading my 92 Mitsubishi evolution for a 91 Nissan gtir. Does anyone think that would be a great trade? I have had my lancer for a year now and I love it so much but I have an opportunity to get this car on a trade off. Should I trade now since the gtir is kind of rare over here in japan. So I think, I guess. So what do you guys think?

Dessimpson's Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 01/07/2004

A word of caution about gti-r's
<br>I've had my gti-r for about two years now and although it is a fantastic car to drive don't even think about buying one unless you've got some spare cash to maintain/repair it as when the power goes up the reliability comes down and every single part seems to cost a fortune in labour to fit unless you're a mechanic(which i'm not!!).
<br>
<br>That said even after two years (by far the longest I've kept a car) it still surprises me some times..

Malvo's Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 20/04/2004

Hey Gman Im in AuStralia too and im buying a GTiR, could you please tell me how u got those awesome results for $2000AUS...email me
<br>purple_nrg@hotmail.com

Kachoban's Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 26/03/2004

I have a 1996 Nissan 200SX (USA) FWD coupe with a SR20DET from a 1991 GTiR. I spent $1500 (US) for complete engine swap, $735 for proper intercooling (front mount Spearco WAVE), $575 on cams and titanium valve springs, $1300 on SIII clutch and 8.3lb flywheel, and $650 for a really nice valve job...hehehe
<br>
<br>I have 426whp and run 1/4 in 10.2sec...not bad if you ask me. By the way I'm located in Texas

Wanna Gtir's Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 06/02/2004

You lucky people! I'm a 19 year old in Adelaide Australia and would (figuratively) kill to own a GTi-R. I've had a Nissan Pulsar N14 and that thing was pretty good...I've been in cars from Porsche 928's, boxsters, Mercs, to Mazda Familia's (4wd turb and the fastest car I've been in), MA70 Toyota supra's, Suburu WRX's, Toyota MR2, NIssan 180sx's...and the closest I came to driving my unicorn (GTi-R) is sitting in the seat at a car dealers.
<br>I doubt I'd be able to afford the AU$20,000 price tag here, so for now I'll just dream! I envy all you people who have driven in an GTi-R. As far as I am concerned, for the money, it is the fastest car around! I would love to have it, just to shut people up in their little wannabe cars! I've read the stats...and seen the movie's of them...I can't wait to one day I own one, oh well...back to stacking shelves for now!

James Muss's Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 17/11/2003

calling all pulsar lovers!!!
<br>if there is anyone out there who would like to give some good advise/tips on buying a pulsar I would appreciate all the help i can get on modifying to!
<br>i was in two minds whether to get one or not but after reading all the reviews it has to be done!

Fun Box Gtir's Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 03/09/2003

Comment by VR6_walshy. from UK on 8th Jul 2003
<br>
<br>my 1994 VW Golf VR6 will pass ne of ur sunny's no problems. i get 350-450bhp at the wheels now that i have fitted a stage 3 turbo kit, a t-4 turbo, twin intercoolers to suit. and if u wana get smart, i cud always throw in the extra 125bhp i get frm my NOS ;)
<br>
<br>.....that makes about 450-500 bhp! yes, at the wheels. as oppsoed to the standard 174BHP produced, i think u mite jst b able 2 realise how it is a lot quicker than ur cars!
<br>have fun boys!
<br>HELLOOOOOO!!!!
<br>
<br>Why would u put twin i/c's on a car with a single turbo , silly boy!
<br>
<br>Twin turbos have twin i/c's
<br>
<br>And a T4 on a VR6, wotever mate, that would destroy that motor! Y do u have to make rubbish up like that for!???
<br>You have made yourself look a complete prat!
<br>
<br>BTW, im getting my pulsar on friday, cuz i got so addicted to the power of the thing, i just have to have it!!
<br>Ben

Gingerhitler's Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 31/08/2003

I have now owned a BMW E30 M3, VW Corrado VR6, BMW 750i V12, and a Scooby WRX and now own a Nissan Pulsar GTI-R. So I have had some experience with fast cars, and unlike all the other cars I have owned every single time I take my GTI-R out for a run whether it be just up the shops for a paper or on a long journey it always is guaranteed to put a smile on my face :-) the handling and performance is outstanding. So try one out before you buy that Scooby, I will guarantee it will possibly change you mind. They where all fantastic cars to drive don't get me wrong but the GTI-R won me over.

D Munkey.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 18/07/2003

Hey I live in the Us and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on importing a GTiR to the US. If so please E-mail me at Dmunkey@hotmail.com.
<br>
<br>As for the argument over Gtir vs. MR2 Both cars have about the same stats out of box, but MR2 is more expensive, and costs more to mod.
<br>Choice is easy GTiR

Mr_Sinister.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 10/07/2003

Wazzup to all my gtir owning bros.now i think the topic is going abit out of hand.1) now why are people comparing gtirs with mr2s.every one knows 4wd againsts rwd is no deal. when launching from the lights at 5000rpms you so will loose traction in a mr2 or any rwd car for that matter.on the other hand the gtir(baby godzilla)gets traction on all 4s and boosts to the occation. i will know this cause i for one own a '91 gtir RB. very very rare model,the full rally version,not your every day pulsar.I've done a little bit of mods to it while owning it:Turbonetics TS04E turbocharger,turbonetics 42mm external wastegate,hks head gasket,custom intake manifold bigger throttle body,MoTEC M48,Blitz launch controller,GTR front mount intercoller,plus a few more little things and qute nice fitting plates,SINISTA.so bottom line don't b dissen da gtirs(baby g's)
<br> PS... any one who has not seen my beast on the streets of New Zealand it will be prouling the streets after the 16 of august'03 fully finished and possibly the NZ performace car mag soon.

114459_Minky.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 09/07/2003

id really like to see your golf try and destroy my 457bhp turbo terror pulsar.for a start the handling in my car is far better and my car is generally quicker anyway.you shouldnt slag off the beast from the east,you dont know what your talking about.....

114398_Danvonnewman.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 09/07/2003

noob
<br>
<br>this is for ppl writing about the Gti-R,
<br>not a my cars faster/better than yours slagging competition
<br>
<br>grow up and don't bother coming back unless you have something good or bad to say about the Pulsar not some heavy over engineered german shopping trolley with no style or character

114037_Vr6_Walshy.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 08/07/2003

<br>have fun boys!

108992_Wj Gtir.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 20/06/2003

1 nice little thing cought my eye in this neverending story, about the guy with the McLaren F1 (yeah right). It did 0-60 in 3,5 secs or something ? And after adding a 175 bhp shot of nitrous he would do 0-60 in a second less, so 0-60 in 2.5 secs in an F1 ? Dream on ! Fitting Nitrous to a GTiR on the other hand is a total different story... No turbo lag, excellent performance. If u want my advice for a cheap, reliable 300+ BHP GTiR : Mongoose free flow exhaust, slightly raised boost (dawes-device), And a Highpower nitrous oxide kit (www.noswizard.com). Oh, right, and a Blow-off-valve for quicker 0-60 times.
<br>Regards, William

104497_Danvonnewman.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 05/06/2003

As regarding the stock specs i believe the bhp is around the 225 mark not 175.
<br>
<br>Everythin else seems correct.
<br>
<br>If you want correct information visit the UK owners club forum here at:
<br>http://japmobiles.com/gtir/default.asp
<br>or the website at:
<br>http://www.gtiroc.com/

104106_Dean.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 04/06/2003

sucka punch...
<br>incase u didnt realise, i know the new sevs rules and that as i have actually imported 3 vehicles from japan myself, seeing as though the gtr i have is a 1989 model, its in the 15yr's and older category, i can have as many mods as i want as long as it doesnt go against rego...
<br>regards, Dean.
<br>and as u said, gtir is a rally car, gtr is a road car...

Frankthatank.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 03/06/2003

I was looking on a site and found some specs on the gtir and wondering if anyone could confirm the 1/4 mile time in these following specs. is this stock? and r these all the imports from japan.
<br>Years 90 - 94
<br>0-100km/h 5.3
<br>1/4 mile 13.7
<br>Transmission 5 Spd
<br>Suspension Independent Strut f & r
<br>Brakes front/ rear vent disc

103358_Revester.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 02/06/2003

Dudes, my friend lent me his GTiR while he had to go away and work for a few days (hehehehe), silly boy, fully worked turbo rally car lent to his mate without supervision, who does that! Anyway, this thing runs like a beast, sure as hell beats the stuffing out of my Datsun 180B! First time I ever drove a car like this, and I am afraid I can never go back. I didn't think anything would beat a WRX, but this thing caned it! And cornering, oh my god.

102098_Paul.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 28/05/2003

a private dealer in wiltshire is selling a 400bhp gtir for 14k. it has 60'000 miles on the clock and is in very good condition. as it is a private dealer and a rare car he doesn't have much info on it. could anyone give me an estimate on the performance on this car baring in mind it has 400bhp and also is this a good price for the car, the modifications and the milage?

101938_Sucka Punch.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 28/05/2003

GTR is a great car no doubt but not all drivers will agree that the GTR is always better then a GTiR. I for one know that the R32 GTR doesn't handle as well as people think it does. Sure it is 4wd but not a constant 4wd. The GTiR was bred for rally use the GTR for track use. At a guess I would say most GTR drivers would probably never drive the R32 as it was supposed to be driven. Meaning when the car starts to oversteer not many drivers will hold off on counter steering, keep some throttle and wait for the torque split to come and pull you out of the corner. But hey if you want to sit there and say your car is better cos it has this much power and it has won this and that race sure go ahead. But also agree if this is your base for saying your car is better then a GTiR then know that your GTR no matter what mods you do, what power you have or how much you love the car will never be better then a ferrari.
<br>
<br>And as for your car having 600hp apon import. I highly doubt it. I have imported a car into Australia recently and know that the new import scheme is alot more strict on mods and will probably make you return the car to stock before it can be registered. So 600hp at stock? I think not.

100869_Stevo.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 23/05/2003

i would like to smack that cocky smile off your face boy... u haven't even got the car yet.. mr2's are ok.. they are a bit small inside but style is good, although it costs a bit to do them up, i would know, i've owned one. with the gtir its cheaper to do them up.. thats a fact...
<br>btw '8urevo' ? our prevalent are evo's down there in nsw? cz i've seen a couple down here that are quick as.. they can beat gtrs no problem... it'd be pretty embarrasing if they show u up at the lights wen ur plates say 8urevo and they have plates "gtrETR".

99512_Dean.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 20/05/2003

hey guys, i own the gtir's big brother, which is a GTR if u didnt know already..(aka godzilla)so dont say i dont have a better car :) i also got it for the price u buy gtir's for...and also i have spent nothing on it and it has atleast 600hp. :) bet ur wondering how! well i actually havent received it yet because it arrives next year. (oz import rules for 15yr+ vehicles) my car is 1989 model which means its 15yrs old next year...mm no compliance..ive driven both a gtir mildly modified and my car at the moment an aw11 mr2. and i can say that the mr2 is a better car, the gtir is fast and all, but doesnt feel as good to drive, everytime u drive an mr2 it feels special. and u cant say im wrong when i say that the gtir is a pulsar with 4wd and a turbo..put in simple terms..the mr2 is designed by lotus. but im not paying the gtir out as i have its big brother..kinda anyway. also my car was not built as a drag car so it mightnt be the fastest out of ya's all, but probably is :) my car outhandles modified evo's.. might get the plates "8UREVO" hehe..

99194_Richman.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 19/05/2003

I wasnt comparing my f1 to your gti-r's. If i was comparing it to anything it would of been the 680bhp subaru that was mentioned. My point was dont be bigheaded about your car because there will always be a faster one! Not saying my f1 is always going to be the fastest one! I never seen or driven a gti-r so i would not compare them! You simply cant compare a £620'000 car to a £15'000 car! i am going to a track day soon and hopefully i will be driving a cerbera speed 12 and that would take the arse of my mclarens for sure! anyway happy driving and modding! :)

Notaknobend.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 18/05/2003

I get the strangest feeling some of the people commenting on this have never even sat in a GTi-R, but yet seem to know everything about it. Oh, and a garage fitting NOS to a Mclaren (no s) F1.... that's the funniest story I've read in ages!!!

99023_I Own One, Im Not Just Pretending....'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 18/05/2003

>>GTI-Rs are nose heavy and need considerable suspension revisions to make them handle.<<
<br>
<br>Whatever... They can be made to handle better, but then all cars can. It is not a bad handling car out of the box, it's actually pretty good, if you know how to drive that is...
<br>
<br>>>An mr2 can hardly be compared to a gtir. mr2 is a middle enginged rear wheel drive sports car! and was built for handling just as much as speed. I would love to meet one of you in your "pant wetting" nissans on a long bendy country road! We will see who eats who for breakfast! <<
<br>
<br>Er.. no. The MR2 is a marketting exercise dreamed up to give Toyota a bit of street cred (although a hairdresser's car is hardly street cred), the Celice GT-4 is Toyota's only competition bred sports car, although the Supra has had some success on the track. The GTi-R was designed for competition purposes (cue the usual remark about the poor results in the WRC, but it only had one factory season so quite what people expect is beyond me...). If MR2s handle so well, then why on a recent 15 minute track session of 10 GTi-Rs and 1 MR2 did only one car spin 4 times? And which car was that you ask? Have a guess...

99017_Edd.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 18/05/2003

Who cares about your mclarenF1, tvr, lamborgini.
<br>Why even bother posting in the first place, your critism is not wanted here.
<br>We were talking about a rare, unknown, under rated hot hatch. In standard form it isn't in the same league as lamborginis.But this engine can be tuned to 700bhp, and a 400bhp R would give your mclaren f1 a run for its money up to 100.
<br>End of the day For 1/20 of the price of your car, we could have one almost as quick.
<br>And fitting nos on a mclaren f1- haha

98956_Akira.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 18/05/2003

without a doubt the mclaren f1 is a brilliant machine, but the konig. betters it in price vs. performance. 1.2 million for a f1 is simply not within reach for most people. so before you come in here with your fancy stuff, and try to compare a 15 grand gtir vs 1.2 million f1, then ur messed in da head.. why not place a hotted gtir with the f1 in the dirt? why not rally it? you see how i make my point...
<br>the gtir for little outlay can give you very good results, that's a known fact... i have been in a 9 second gto... my cousin in japan is mates with a tunign shop owner... 9 seconds beats ur time of 11.. and for less money too...
<br>well i've wittered on enough... my gtir has only a front mount and i've beaten soo many cars its not funny... all up it has cost me 8.5 grand au for the car and cooler (i got it for cheap), thats about 3 thousand pounds...

98167_Richman.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 15/05/2003

I changed my mind about not visiting as someone actually replied in an adult way. Maybe it is the fastest car for money but not the fastest car on earth. In my mclarens f1 i went to a tune up garage (very expensive one) and i am going to have fitted a 150 shot of nos which will push it up to 770bhp. This will knock a second of the 0-60 time, 0.78 of the 0-100 time(estimations from garage) You get the picture it will be very fast! I am planning on taking it down to wroughton airfield to open it up on the dis-used runways. Not that any of you are bothered about that anyway. But my point was never be bigheaded about your car cause there will always be a faster car in most cases!

97935_Richman.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 14/05/2003

So the fact it is called mclarens f1 road car doesnt mean anything to you? and like i said you dont have to believe me whether i have it, your probably just jealous because while your driving your subaru i am driving my mclarens,ferraris,tvrs and lamborghini...real mens cars! And your telling me to stick to the topic so why did you bring your subaru into it?
<br>If it was worth me proving you wrong i would get pictures of my cars and copies of purchase documents but you aint worth it.
<br>PS. THERE IS NO POINT IN REPLYING CAUSE I WONT BE VISITING THIS SITE AGAIN!

97683_Danvonnewman.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 14/05/2003

F1's are fast for sure but how much did it cost you? I've spent about 20grand so far on my Gti_R and 0-60 is 3.5 and 0-100 is 7.5 0-100-0 is about 12
<br>
<br>For sure the R might look get as much looks as an F1 but do not underestimate is capabilities. Just a further note I have not reached the full potential of my car.
<br>
<br>Don't bother with the why buy a car to od it argument as I've allready explained the money saving implications. The Gti-R is the fastest car for money in the world, show me something else that can beet a new 50grand 911 Porsche for 5grand.

97378_Evil_Rs.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 13/05/2003

yeah, dont we all have f1 mclarens.u dont have an f1 so why dont u just keep dreamin and get a life, and by the way an f1 inst even a car, its a purpose built machine made for track use only, rendering your comment useless as this is about gtirs, not whatever lies u like 2 make.

97026_Richman.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 12/05/2003

I own a stock car that would make any of your cars look like a snail! It does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, 0-100 in 6 seconds, 0-100-0 in 11.4 seconds, top speed 240mph. Can you guess what it is yet? Mclarens F1, the fastest production car ever made. Even with 60bhp less than your subaru i can guarentee it would chew up your car and spit it out! I simply aint bothered if you dont believe i own one of these, i know what i have sat on my drive. I live in cornwall so anyone near by can request to race me but it would be a big waste of time for you.

96965_Evil_Rs.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 12/05/2003

ok.every1 here would rather a gtir over an mr2.
<br>an mr2 is a pretty slow car.my girlfriends gtir has blown away numerous mr2s including a fully TRD modded 2.2ltr with a hks gt 3240 turbo running an apropriate 600bhp.i dont even bother with mr2s in my car, which has blown away the likes of a 360 modena,diablo 6, murcielago, and a 7 ltr supercharged holden commadore walkinshaw.4 those of you wondering what kind of car could do this, it is a 91 subaru(thats right)legacy rs turbo, fully group n rally spec certified, running just under 680bhp and weighing in at 985kg, and to top it all off....it has 2 15"alpine subwoofers in the boot, and it it fullf road legal.but back 2 the subject, which is that a gtir will well and truely kill an mr2.

Mrtwo.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 05/05/2003

After reading everyone elses comments i decided to add my own...
<br>I own a modified mr2 turbo, My best mate is an expert with cars (especially japanese cars) and has helped me greatly in modifying this car. Producing up to 466bhp without considerable loss in handling, top speed 170mph, 0-60 4.2seconds. I was told getting an mr2 to do this was impossible, but it seems not! An mr2 can hardly be compared to a gtir. mr2 is a middle enginged rear wheel drive sports car! and was built for handling just as much as speed. I would love to meet one of you in your "pant wetting" nissans on a long bendy country road! We will see who eats who for breakfast! gtir will come faster at a smaller price where as an mr2 wont(i've spent 10k modding my car, but not just on the engine. stereo,interior,exterior,satellite navigation).a car isnt just about the engine in my view, its about the style, looks and feel and in my opinion the mr2 wins this over many cars.
<br>Now lets start comparing mr2's to something more similar and same with gtir!

92827_Dylmah.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 28/04/2003

MR2's and GTiR's are completely different cars, and it's really not right to compare two cars that are so different. But for a fact, an MR2 will not keep up with the GTiR in a straight line. It's lighter more powerful and has 4wd.
<br>
<br>HOWEVER, on a race track on bends it will be a completely different story. The Mid-Engine balance of the MR2 will mean it'll be able to gun around a corner at much greater speeds, as the weight shifts to the rear wheels as you gun it harder, you get more grip. The AWD GTiR handles well, but not quite as well as an MR2. But, as an MR2 owner, my opinion is biased, but i'll still bow down to the GTiR on a straight line......BUT I WILL BURN U ON THE BENDS MUHAHAHAHA!

92631_Dino.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 27/04/2003

hey.
<br>My friend has a gtir, he just put 17's on it and its lowered, bov etv. hes just bought an fmic waiting to put it on.. oh and exhaust system..
<br>anyway. yeh the car is great and it does go really well. but after being in my dads supra tt, which has exhaust, big fmic, bov, 18's, lowered, bkit, (6speed)etc. the gtir is nothing special. it actually feels slow compared to it, its like its non turbo, coz u cant feel the turbo come in, whereas in the supra it pushes u back in ur seat. im not paying the gtir out, as im actually thinking of getting one myself.
<br>at the moment i own a aw11 mr2 (which i just recently crashed...sad) and where i live theres some great twisty roads round a mountain, anyway, on the straights the gtir pulls away from me but i catch him on the corners which is funny as i need new front shocks and im wearing snow tyres! he has aftermarket suspension with 17's and sticky rubber (plus 4wd) anyway just goes to show the mr2 is quicker on a track.
<br>u might notice that most race cars (road) are rwd, something to think about. p.s. this is not an argument, the gtir is a great car and with little money spent it can get into the 12's very easily. oh and the guy with the corolla, where talking about a 3sgte in an mr2 (mid-engine rwd) compared to ur 3sgte (front engine rwd?) the mr2 would wip ya but! :D p.s.s. front wheel drive cars suck :D

Akira.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 25/04/2003

i just got a pulsar gtir so far it goes nutz...but i need it to go faster... what do you guys recommend i do.. i haven't got much to spend.. gman if ur still out there help me out man.. thanks guys..
<br>great car by the way.. slightly boosted and it still beats alot of cars... but not all =)

83776_Minky.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 27/03/2003

im buying my pulsar tommorow and cant wait.I went in my mates modded one a long time ago and nearly wet myself.Ever since ive wanted one.you cant beat the performance to price ratio.The one im buying is completely standard and ill probably keep it that way for a while.I personally feel its a beautiful machine and i hope i have many a fun time.

78151_Newgtir.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 07/03/2003

IF Gman is still out there... email me on jkendo007@hotmail.com and tell me how you did that to your GTiR. I just got a pretty standard Gtir and i wanna make it FLY!

Danvonnewman.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 14/01/2003

I have owned both a MR2 Turbo and a Pulsar and have driven modded scoobies and evo's so I know what i'm talking.
Standard form the MR2 is faster than the GTiR however spend just £500 on the R and you have 300bhp which only good evo's can come close too.
As soon as you go for high BHP outputs with the MR2 the handling and controll of the vehicle is apawling - by high i'm talking 350bhp+.
If you have a GTiR, MR2 Turbo, Celica, Scooby and Evo lined up all with 350bhp the evo would win in a straight line with the R an extreanly close 2nd.
As for track handling ie lap time the R and Evo again would be at the top with the MR2 coming last - after spining off at every corner

Fredric.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 09/01/2003

hows it goin,
well guess wat my gti-r goes like a rocket it goes 11.78 seconds 1/4 mile and its 267kw so suck a phat 1.
peace out

Splmum.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 28/12/2002

GMAN, if your still around would like to know info on getting my R a bit quicker cheaply as you have commented, contact thearmstrongs@iprimus.com.au

Srplnty.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 24/12/2002

well i dont know what these guys are on what think mr2s are quicker then gtirs, but ya all tripin. I own a pulsar n12 langley and thats a front wheel drive 1.5 turbo and i drag mr2s with 3sgte engines. So how do you figure a GTI-R would b slower then a Mr2 its not right. Yous have no clue. My car aint standard but still would not have the balls to keep with a GTi-R i know that well a standard one probably, but has never lost a drag to a mr2 and have dragged so called the quickest in Adelaide and that runs a trust t67 at 1.5bar boost and did a 12.7 so yeh. bang for the bucks nothing beats a Nissan

Gtiroz.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 18/12/2002

1. There is no such thing as an "hks version" of the GTi-R (hks have many i-R mods and have sponsored cars in the past but they didnt release their own version)
2. All you oz owners should be part of the oz owners club (http://drive.to/gti-r-oz/) and all i-R owners worldwide should be part of the global owners club (http://www.gtiroc.com)
3. This is meant to be a one-make car review, not a comparision between totally different marques

58721_Tim.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 18/12/2002

I am thinking of buying a pulsar-sunny gtir, or an mr2 gts. I will go for the gtr I think! It handles better, out performs in almost every aspect, and four seats. Mr2's are not as great as I first thought! I've driven both and the gtir wins hands down. Any mr2 owners,

58170_Andrew.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 15/12/2002

After having this car for 4 months the only problem that I have had, is that I am getting through so many pairs of underware. If any one has this problem let me know.
It's the most fun and fastest car that I have owned and when the day comes that I have to change it, I think that my world will come to an end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regards Andrew
Stone Staffordshire

57699_What A Load Of Wafty.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 13/12/2002

If 2 cars are nearly identical in weight and have the same power then they will be nigh on the same in a straight line. The only difference would be power lost through transmission friction. The GTIR loses 25% through this, the MR2T 19% therefore the MR2 will be faster - fact. Seirra Cosworth 2WDs are quicker than the 4WDs for example. (even though they are 16 bhp less) To beat a MR2T with 400 bhp you will need 400 bhp. I have an MR2T as do friends of mine, I also have several friends with GTIRs and others with scoobys. We race regularly and are all running 300+ bhp.

B19 Sog.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 08/12/2002

My mate has a MR2 Turbo which he bought with TRD
mods ie;uprated clutch,gearbox,exhaust,turbo and diff.
He has added himself Apexi avcr & safc also a intercooler in the trunk,aquamist kit and 75 shot
nos.This car was running approx 360 to 400bhp.
The upshot of all these mods was no traction and
zero handling around the twisties,even with a Koni
adjustable sus kit.
He claimed a top speed over 1.25 mile straight at
elvington in york of 179mph @ 18.7secs and also
claims 500m in 11.89secs.
After all this "claiming" i had to bring out my
Gtir to challenge him.
My Gtir was at that time running was running 1bar
boost;straight through exhaust,greddy induction,
hks afr,hks iridium plugs and R34 fuel pump.Bhp was @280.
We lined up at bottom of a long straight going uphill @ 1.5 miles long.We took off side by side,
and i gapped him staight away(about 2car lengths).
He then tucked into my slip stream and the gap
stayed the same until about 135mph where he pulled
out of slipstream and overtook slowly to get in front.
My opion in general Mr2s have good top end cause
they are more aerodynamic,but when it comes to real
world street power mr2s don't have a chance against gtir.

52594_Ohara.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 22/11/2002

I agree, Having owned both cars mentioned I don't really see how the mr2 turbo can be compared to the GTiR on the twisty roads of the uk wet or dry. It's not the best car in the world but it makes a bloody good second hand buy. I imported my Pulsar myself and can honestly say I never got bored of driving that car. With the ability to go silly in the bhp department the performance can be as outrageous as you can afford. I stopped at 300bhp but know people who just keep on upgrading and squeezing the last bit of power. Before making daft comments about them, drive one! and watch the gormless look on peoples faces as you smoke their backside. I used to wee myself laughing at the rich kids in their £30k bmw's etc getting blown away by a £8k nissan. What an underated car.

48708_Jake.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 06/11/2002

G'Day G Man. I am very interested in your upgrade on the GTiR. Please E-Mail me how you managed to get your machine to go so fast. jjspencer@optusnet.com.au

46278_Jon.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 26/10/2002

I own a 1990 GTi-R and I agree after you have driven modified a GTi-R nothing much else compares. Before i bought my car i considered buying an MR2 turbo as well. It drove well, was a bit lacking in space but overall was an exellent car. The real difference comes in the way the cars deliver the power, the GTi-R is an almost unique engine set up with throttle boddies and a turbo, this means as it heads for the red line it just revs faster the Mr2 does not, it appears breathless towards the redline. The bigger the power the more traction is required this is often reflected in the 1/4 mile times my friend has a uk spec gti-r running 11 second quarters which isn't too bad for the poor fuel we have to use.
I have been looking to replace my GTi-R for a year now, i have tried evos, scoobys and M3's but the GTi-R is special and always will be, it just was not a rally sucess just like the Mr2..

43514_Lanee.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 14/10/2002

I've spent less than $2000 on mr gtir and has done a 12.079 1/4 mile. Would like to see a mr2 with that much money spent beat it. Good luck

42456_Chris.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 08/10/2002

The MR2T weighs 30 odd kilos more than a GTI-R put loses less power through transmission. They are both 2.0L 16v turbos. The GTI-R is not a very good handling car 'out of the box' whereas the MR2T is very good. GTI-Rs are nose heavy and need considerable suspension revisions to make them handle. When you sift through all the macho hype these are the facts of the case. One is no more tunable than the other. I race my mates GTI-Rs who are running the same power as me (300bhp) and funny old thing there is nothing in it in a straight line. In the wet they beat the stuffing out of me, but in the dry it's the complete opposite. Both cars represent fantastic value for money. As regards looks well you cant compare there. The GTI-R is a rally bred aggressive looking animal of a car, the MR2 a pseudo Ferrari. The GTI-R has its good points and its bad points, (like all cars) but to say it beats everything is just not true i'm afraid.

42199_Yas.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 07/10/2002

People listen up. the truth about the battle between the mr2 turbo and the GTiR! everyone will have a view! the only way is to race on the road! and personally no mr2 i've raced has posed a threat!

41900_Chaz.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 05/10/2002

Stock v stock the MR2 T is by far the faster car. The 4wd you mention saps the power of the GTIR, giving about 160bhp at the wheels, compared to 215bhp at the wheels of the MR2. In the wet it's advantageous to have 4wd, but in the dry it's certainly not.

41145_Exa-Bitionist.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 02/10/2002

yea, ok.
<br>well, to the guy above, I have a 3S-gte mr2 motor in a AE82 corolla GT, and i know how well they go! still not as fast and no match for a GTiR. Missing one big factor of 4wd.
<br>I have a Friend with a turbo MR2, worked with about 270-280..cant keep up with the GTiR
<br>im well over the 300 mark now mate, i wish u lived nearby, more than happy to offer you a race.
<br>ill even put 5 ppl in the car, you can fit 2 ppl and a packet of cigaretts in a MR2,.The GTir is one of the best cars ever built, that's my opinion, you can have yours.

40497_Chris.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 29/09/2002

Just doing some research for a friend of mine who has a GTIR, great cars by the way. To the dipstick above: Youve never heard of the MR2 turbo then? It has a 2L 16v turbocharged engine mounted in the middle, and feeding the rear wheels. It produces 241 bhp does 0-60 in 5.2 and will go on to about 160mph. I did a 4.7 in my car only a month ago and i was only running 275bhp! So maybe i might have a chance with you at the lights? (especially as i am now pushing over 300)

Exa-Bitionist.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 26/09/2002

i think ppl who havnt been in a GTiR just wont know, i have on down in tassie, and i get dorks in Geminis trying to drag me off at the lights, its such a joke! as far a MR2 keepin up! ? whats with that. maybe if u put an SR20det in it, and made it 4wd! if u get a chance, all those who havnt been in a GTiR, go in one b4 u judge, u will S*&T ur pants, even if its a std one

38310_Gaz_Gti-R.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 18/09/2002

mr2's i was eating them in standard form i now have just under 290bhp,the looks might not be to everyones taste but it's a matter of opinion really,in fact i think the car looks quite aggressive which is good and i like that,also for the sort of performance you get out of a R here in britain you would still be paying anywhere near £7K-20K for anything that would touch it
<br>
<br>i now hit 60 in high/mid 4's and have not done a 1/4 mile test yet but i expect it to be in the high 12's low 13's

37318_Reuben.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 11/09/2002

yo gman. can ya let us no how to get my gtir that quick for that cheap. thanks man. reubenone@hotmail.com

37251_Moe.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 10/09/2002

Hey Gman, i live in Sydney have 2 GTiR's and want to know how the hell did you manage to get your GTiR to go so quick for so little $$$?
<br>Please email me with details.
<br>japp.imports@justinternet.com.au

37248_Andrew.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 10/09/2002

HELLO GMAN, can you please tell me how you got a quarter time of 11.89. can you email me at vardakis@optushome.com.au . I too r in australia. thanks bro

36634_Partypooper.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 07/09/2002

just thought I'd point out that camels don't actually drink a lot of water (maybe you were being ironic or something.. but its not like you can tell from straight text) so you were actually saying your car doesn't use much gas so... yeah

Rnn14.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 19/08/2002

My GTiR is in rather standard trim , minus the apexi controller gear, 2 1/2" exhaust, aftermarket ECU, blitz BOV
<br>HKS air airfilter Z32 AFM custom fuel rail bilstein suspension custom air intake frount mounted intercooler .
<br>it is a damned quick car , eats WRX STi`s ev0 6`s (it5s plate name is EVOETR .
<br> i doubt weither there are any MR2`s in new zealand that could take it on respectively it had about 300hp before the fount mount intecooler z32 AFM and custom fuel rail
<br>and it did 0-100kmh-1 in about 4.5
<br>haven`t dragged it yet too worried about the clutch
<br>plus the fact i`m pushing the limits of the standard box and i can`t afford to be walking everywhere for a couple of months while i fix my gearbox!
<br> Sure there are faster cars , and i have no doubt that if you poured enough money into an MR2 you could beat me
<br>but damned sure i`d be going a lot faster if i had that kind of budget too!

28267_Lanee.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 17/06/2002

hey gman, i live in australia and would like to know how u did it. email me at lanee11@hotmail.com

22729_Gman.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 08/05/2002

mr2? dun think so? who eva wrote that dun know wat their talking about! my GTiR runs 0-100 in 4.01 1/4 mile in 11.89
<br><br>and guess what i only spent $2,000AU try spending that much wif MR2 see what times u get. If u see me on the road in Australia my plates say ITZQIK and if u are a GTiR fan ill tell u hows its done.

D V 8 R.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 17/04/2002

That may be a good time in the UK. But down in australia and New Zealand. GTi-R's run in the sub 11sec 1/4 mile. Cars are a mans life in some family's. People devote half their income on their car. My 1991 GTi-R runs a 11.9sec.
<br>That is after a evo 6 turbo kit and intercooler instalation and a top of the range computer upgrade. My latest Dyno shows I have about 220 - 390bph. Even with all these upgrades, my car is not at the top spot of the GTi-R rankings.
<br>Just somthing for you all in the UK to think about.

19622_Adrian.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 16/04/2002

Well said Yas, a friend of mine also has an MR2 GT (his was actually the fastest 0-60, 1/4 mile and top speed in the country) and he thinks that my car (Pulsar GTIR, 350bhp) is great. At least when I am driving in my car, I can fit a suitcase in the back if I want to nip off for the weekend, and I am also able to put a set of track only wheels in the back of the car for whenever I go to track days.
<br>Let's see you match that Goosie!!

18516_Kris.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 09/04/2002

an evo 6? thats about four times the price of a gtir! how about a nissan skyline or a second hand ferrari? bet you could get that for the price of an evo 6! the gtir is the best pound-per-fun you can get without going to a strip club!

15858_Lancer_Evolution_6_Tme.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 14/03/2002

Hatches suck!!!!!!
<br>Get a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 6 Tommi Makinen Edition

Nedz.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 04/03/2002

THE GTIR IS A REAL STORMER, IM 35 AND IVE HAD MY FAIR SHARE OF CARS. IT REALLY DOES FIT THE BADGE. BEFORE PEOPLE START DISAPPROVING THIS CAR THEY REALLY NEED TO HAVE OWNED IT. I HAD MINE FOR 3 YEARS UNTIL I HAD TO SELL IT, OTHERWISE IT WOULD STILL BE SITTING IN MY DRIVE.

12340_Yas.'s Response to 9493_Yas.'s Review

Written on: 10/02/2002

TO the above. 4.5 seconds is achieved when the car is at full boost and is producinmg its maximum output. who said anything about 4.5 seconds being achieved as a standard car. you should in future read the comments properly before you compare a 2-seater rear-wheel drive carto a hot hatch which has no comparison
<br>no disrespect but you dont know what your talking about. the GTiR is my car and i know what it is capable of.
<br>the looks, you and a lot of people are right the mr2 is definetly a better looking car, but who was commenting on its looks. for raw power and drive believe me no mr2 can match.
<br>comparisons can only be made between like cars, you should bare that in mind when you decide to put someone down who is telling you of what his car is capable of and not who it can beat in a race or looks.
<br>Hope the message gets across
<br>Yas