Stihl MS270 Review

Guest's review of Stihl MS270

Stihl MS270

“I made a mistake on the original review of the Stihl...”

Written on: 09/02/2009

I made a mistake on the original review of the Stihl MS270. I got the 18 inch not the 20 inch that it came with (for some reason the suppliers are only ordering the 20 inch bar length, but are happy to convert it) . The 156 inch would work better a lot of the time, but I use the 18 inch as measuring gage and sometimes the longer length is handy.

The saw continues to cut very well. I have lost count of the cords run through.

I had the saw flood out totally once. I think it was a combination of frozen up and flooded (cutting in a lot of flying ice and snow conditions).

I could not get it going, so I quit (I was froze solid anyway, it was -20F) and went home and thawed it out, and tried clearing it a few times. Upshot was I thought it was going to the dealer for repair when I re-read the flooding clearing procedure in the manual, and I was doing it wrong.

Once I did it right, it fired right up.

I am having chains break cutting frozen wood. I suspect its either the links are not done right when they build the chain (all done locally, only factory assembled chain comes with the saw), or its not getting enough oil. I didn't have the problem with using the original summer oil even in winter (the guys said the oil reservoir heated up anyway). since I went to the winter oil two chains broke.) They ok the winter oil for summer use, and I do cut a lot in the summer as well.

Maybe the one downside is not being able to adjust oil quantity. Oregon chain saw manuals says broken links are an indication of not enough oil. Oil more and or dilute. I am diluted with the winter oil, so not more to do other than try summer oil again maybe.

I Stihl think it may be the best all around saw, despite the popularity of the MS280 and MS290.