Genes Reunited Review

• Ease Of Navigation

Julie316's review of Genes Reunited - www.genesreunited.co.uk

“GenesReunited is a pretty good web site. They have a...”

Written on: 22/01/2009 by Julie316 (40 reviews written)

Fairly easy to use
You can put your family tree up & have people contact you for free

Hot matches aren't specific enough - I seem to get hundreds every time
A lot of members don't seem to have researched before the censuses

General Comments
GenesReunited is a pretty good web site. They have a lot of members so you are bound to find someone who shares your ancestry. I have had a lot of contacts off genes reunited whereas with Lost Cousins I've had two, and I was already in contact with one of them. By allowing you to join for free, you can see how many people have your relatives on their family tree. You need to pay if you want to contact someone or view their family tree details. You can control who sees your own family tree details and you can hide details about living people.

One downside to GenesReunited is the 'hot matches' they generate every month or so. They are meant to alert you to people with similar family trees and to be fair I have had some good matches. However, I have quite a lot of people on my family tree now, and particularly with common surnames like Smith or Chapman, hundreds of irrelevant matches seem to be generated.

The possible downside to Genes Reunited is that you just don't know how helpful a contact is going to be. I have had some really good contacts and we've ended up researching further back together and exhanging copies of BMD certificates and family photographs (of ancestors) by e-mails. Others aren't interested in a prolonged correspondence and simply want access to your tree to see if you have anything extra. And of course you can't guarantee that someone will respond to your contact message.

Genes Reunited has definitely helped me in my family history research and it's good to be able to share your research with others. I would recommend taking out a free membership at first and doing some searches to see if it is worth your while to pay a subscription or not.

• Ease Of Navigation

Visit genesreunited.co.uk