Rent A Rasta (18) Review

casey18735's review of Rent A Rasta (18)

Rent A Rasta (18)

“This film 'Rent A Rasta' is great and right on time...”

Written on: 08/01/2009 by casey18735 (1 review written)

This film does gives the viewer a balanced view of sex tourism in Jamaica, of Jamaican life (at least in the tourist sections) and of Rastafari culture and beliefs.

I wish we could have seen what the "average" Jamaican, not a gigolo or a Rasta thought of the whole sex tourism business.

General Comments
This film 'Rent A Rasta' is great and right on time for me, as I have visited Jamaica as a tourist, only one who was curious about the culture , the natural beauty of the place, and the people who are as much of the African diaspora as I am (I am an African-American woman).

What I encountered, more times than not, were men who were very sexually aggressive. I was outright solicited on the beach in Negril by a young man who appeared young enough to be my son.

I wish the film examined more about why women from the UK, US, Canada and other places need to travel to Jamaica and other places in the Caribbean to feel loved, wanted, needed, desired, etc. What is it about our society that makes us feel so unloved, so unwanted, unneeded and undesirable that we have to travel to Jamaica and other places to feel these things from strangers.

• Micheal J. Seyfert

Starring Actor/Actress