Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ28 Review

• Image Quality

• Battery Life

smiler03's review of Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ28

Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ28

“I spent ages deciding on a new digital non DSLR...”

Written on: 08/01/2009 by smiler03 (6 reviews written)

Huge number of modes, idiot proof, 18x optical zoom lens, very high resolution, long battery life, image stabiliser works very well, HD video

Remembering everything it can do.

General Comments
I spent ages deciding on a new digital non DSLR camera. For me a DSLR is too awkward, carting around extra lenses, a flash, a tripod etc. The Panasonic does everything I need except fish eye pics, and it's considerably cheaper too, the category it fits into is often called "superzoom", for fairly obvious reasons.

I have taken about 1500 pics on my camera now and used it in many different ways, from pics of eBay items, to night shots, portraits to landscapes etc. What really surprised me was taking pictures hand held in lowish light levels at 18 zoom and they weren't always blurred. Not only that but I can crop almost every picture to an eighth of the original size and the pictures still look high resolution.

There are websites dedicated to photographers showing off their work, I use at least three. When you can search peoples work by camera used, the versatility of the FZ28 really stands out. My own favourite is a sunset I took. I had just a few moments before it faded. I put the camera in sunset scene (yes it really has one dedicated to that), grabbed a tripod, zoomed in at 18x magnification and shot 4 pictures. All came out brilliantly, completely foolproof, except for the framing of the subject!

Before you choose this camera, I would suggest comparing its weight and dimensions to other superzooms. It beats the Fujifilm competitor hands down in this respect, not that it's pocket sized but it is very portable.

It uses a rechargeable battery, extra non-Panasonic ones can be bought for about £5 on eBay. The battery life is exemplary though, I took about 500 pictures on a long weekend in Paris without exhausting the battery.
I love it and would recommend it to anybody, especially those poor DSLR souls with empty wallets and bad backs (from the weight of a camera kit bag).

• Battery Life