The Bell Inn Tillington, Hereford Review

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

Guest's review of The Bell Inn Tillington, Hereford

“We went to the Bell Inn for my brothers birthday in...”

Written on: 08/01/2009

The Lounge was warm and the exit was well signed...worth one point.

Where do I start, I experienced slow service, food choice poor, I thought the quality of food was not that special, as they seem to rave on about locally produced produce.

General Comments
We went to the Bell Inn for my brothers birthday in November 08 party of 8. We encountered slow service from the bar to begin with and then we were handed the menu. I felt that the choice was poor I think the starter was a choice of 4 or 5 I opted for Pate which came as a large portion, but with only 3 pieces of small sized toast, so I was left with half the pate to eat on its own. You may think why not ask for more toast, the reason being we had to wait 30 mins for the starter to arrive and as non of the starters were heated except the soup (which seemed microwaved to within an inch of it's life) as it took my girlfriend 10 mins to eat without burning her mouth. The main course section was of 7-8 options which arrived, with some of the veg missing and which then arrived when we had nearly finished. If you're not into pheasant, venison, duck or a lump of steak, as two of the women in our party were, you have the choice of a steak sandwich and by the way, if you do order a steak sandwich you may need to order chips as it doesn't come with them and maybe get your teeth sharpened to be able to chew through the tough pieces of steak. We never ordered deserts, so I can't comment on them, but I'm sure if i did, we'd have a whole new section to bitch about. The whole experience was disappointing for us and I wouldn't recommend anybody going there. I think you'd be better off going to the Starting Gate or Miro's. By the way, their was only 3 other tables being served, a 2 and 2 x 6's and I could see only one girl waitressing. P.S. I wouldn't recommend ordering drinks with your meal, as ours arrived with the veg at the end, even though we ordered them when the starters were being cleared away.

• British

Food Type

• First time

How often do you eat here?

• Suits all

Atmosphere

• Quality of service

• Quality of food

Rdw's Comment

Written on: 18/01/2009

I disagree with this review because...we just do not recognise the excellent food, service & quality of The Bell - our experience is diametrically opposed.

452108_Millymolly's Comment

Written on: 04/04/2009

I also visited the Bell and can confirm that this is exactly as we were treated. The whole experience was abysmal to say the very least. I am very glad the 'locals' think it is 'wonderful. ' However, The Bell had problems and will certainly not be getting any new recommendations for service and food from myself or our party.
<br/>Maybe they can benefit from my comments as a non local!. Hope their 'local' trade will be sufficient . I would have thought that they would have been keen to make their new client's dining experience an occasion to remember for excellent reasons and not negative.

Liabilityliz's Comment

Written on: 24/01/2009

I definitely recommend the Bell Inn Tillington to all. I like to think of myself as a regular as its comfortable and welcoming. It is always my first choice for eating and its never been a drama for the professional staff and chefs who manage to turn up trumps to their guests needs.
<br/>I wonder if the sed party was mistaken and eating in some other country location. The menu is vast, and the service is just right. In fact I'm off for a beer now!

Glenn Williams's Comment

Written on: 19/01/2009

We at The Bell are sorry you did not enjoy your visit to our pub on 12 November. We take any complaint seriously and will try to learn from your comments. Just as a foot note, and one that does confuse us, our menu is made up of 15 main courses plus a usual 3 main course specials and not the 5-7 stated in the review.
<br/>Thebellinntillington.co.uk

433332_Foodcriticmike's Comment

Written on: 18/01/2009

I disagree with this review because... I have visited this pub for many years. I often go on the Thursday night after wrk and have a quiet drink then on the sunday afternoon after work again i will always have the sunday roast which is perfect and comes with all the trimings. Ive never had a problem with service and i am always happy visit the pub.