The Lion King Review

plb2009's review of The Lion King

“I am shocked at how bad The Lion King was after...”

Written on: 03/01/2009 by plb2009 (1 review written)

I am shocked at how bad The Lion King was after looking forward to it so much and having heard nothing but raves about it - evidently I should have been looking here to get a general idea!

This evening got off to a bad start when I discovered just how claustrophibic and small the Lyceum is - you are practically in each other's laps and I found this a real let down, especially as I had paid top dollar for these seats thinking that, if nothing else, we would be comfortable - WRONG. You are truly on top of each other from all sides - and I had really hoped that the show itself would make up for this major irritation - WRONG AGAIN.

The production itself I found dreadful and utterly boring. It was incredibly repetitive and you felt as though everything they did was overacted and dragged out longer than necessary. I think they act less obviously in a Christmas pantomime quite frankly.

It is hard to imagine where all these positive reviews are coming from because all we could see was a sea of heads resting in hands and a lot of fidgeting and whispering with people looking at exits!

The knowledge that this show lasted from 19:30 until 22:10 was enough to tell me to make my escape as soon as possible and we made our dash for freedom as soon as that interval came joined by a lot of others who similarly were surprised at how boring this show was.

Be very certain that this is the show for you before booking and, better still, bear in mind that you really are packed in like sardines in the stalls - best to get an end of row if possible so you can make a dash for it even earlier than the first interval if necessary - that was my biggest mistake this evening...not being close enough to an exit!

• Lyceum theatre