The Wizard Of Oz, The Lowry Theatre, Salford Quays Review

Guest's review of The Wizard Of Oz, The Lowry Theatre, Salford Quays

☆☆☆☆☆

“I had taken two of my children to see Mary Poppins a...”

Written on: 19/12/2008

The film sequences were adequate, if not a little boring

There were many.

General Comments
I had taken two of my children to see Mary Poppins a few days before, and I did not expect the same breathtaking extravaganza. The Wizard Of Oz at the Lowry was terrible, really terrible. I have seen many plays and shows, of may genres, and this was the worst I have ever had to endure. I was really upset when I got home. PLEASE, do not waste your money. Go to a panto instead, this was one to go down in History. I expected better from the Lowry. The whole quality and proffesionalism of the production was pathetic and very, very amateurish. The role was weak, the cast weaker, and the dubbed singers and dancers were almost cringe-worthy. Lorna Luft, as the witch, was passable, but had very little stage presence or interaction with the audience. The set was passable, the props were adequate, and the who show left me, and my friend feeling cheated. It was at best a poor pantomime, at worst, a rather stilted school play. Very disappointing.