Selman Nickel Plated Euphonium #2431N Review

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

dsbuchanan's review of Selman Nickel Plated Euphonium #2431N

Selman Nickel Plated Euphonium #2431N

“2008 Selman Euphonium: (laquered Brass). It is very...”

Written on: 17/08/2008 by dsbuchanan (1 review written)

Appearance, valve action, case, tone quality, price.

No manual, very sharp, odd receiver size for mouthpiece.

General Comments
2008 Selman Euphonium: (laquered Brass). It is very nice looking and came with an attractive case (not bullet proof but should do OK for me). The tone is good but the tuning slide is out about as far as it can go. I don't understand why it is built so sharp unless it is to compensate for India's hot weather. It came with a mouthpiece which seems adequate but the receiver tube is slightly too large for my standard mouthpieces. A thin tape shim allows them to fit. The rotary valves are the German type (no strings) and work well. There was no instruction manual and I am not sure how to service them other than putting oil down the tuning slides and on the bearing surfaces. I checked the matching valves for tone variation (13=4--12=3) and the tone matches to my ear.

Overall I am pleased. It seems to play better than the old Holton I have been using. Of course that could be excitement over a new toy.

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

Dsbuchanan's Response to dsbuchanan's Review

Written on: 01/09/2008

My initial review has several incorrect statements. The mouthpiece receiver is not nonstandard. It is designed for large shank mouthpieces which are the currant standard. My opinion that the instrument is too biased toward sharpness is also incorrect. When initially evaluating tuning I was using a faulty standard. The valve action is improved since I started using a proper roter oil rather than Holton valve oil. After several concerts and practice sessions I am much more pleased with the instrument.