Weihrauch HW45 or Beeman P1 Review

grassb's review of Weihrauch HW45 or Beeman P1

“For years I have debated about buying a P1/HW45. My...”

Written on: 16/08/2008 by grassb (4 reviews written)

Well built
Excellent fit and finish
Superb accuracey if you do your part
Nice power for such a compact package
Many slightly used guns avalible at a discount
Great trigger
Avalible in different calibers
Can use most .45 handgun grips (lots of options)
Made me a better shooter

I think the P1 is overpriced My other guns are jealous

General Comments
For years I have debated about buying a P1/HW45. My main deterrant was price, @ $400+ msrp I just could not justify spending that much on a pistol. Recently a NIB used P1/.177 with extras appeared and I decided to take the plunge. Not to spoil the ending, but I am really happy with the gun.

Over the years I've read a number of posts on various forums that state the P1 is difficult to shoot. The other half always raves about the accuracy and how "easy" these guns are to shoot. I will align myself with the latter group.

After reading up on various holding techniques I settled into my own 2 handed hold. Using 2 hands with the left thumb overlapping the right, my left index finger under the trigger guard and my left pinkie under the grip.The trick for me is to hold lightly, allowing the gun to recoil in my hand. At 7yds with arms rested I can consistently put 5 shots into a 1 inch target. Using the same hold sans rest my groups open up apprx 1/2 inch depending on how much cofee I've had that day. All of my shooting is done with open sights.

So far JSB Exact pellets have given the best results. RWS Superdomes also work very well. I simply prefer the softer lead JSB's becasue they are kinder to the vulnerable breech seal on these guns.

My gun came with Beeman combat grips installed. The grips fill my hand much better than the slim stock panels. I breifly tried the stock ones and switched back to the combat grips after a few shooting sessions. I'd recommend these grips or something similar to make holding the pistol much easier.

My final thought is one that echos the mountains of praise this gun has received over and over again. I now can see why this gun has been produced virtually unchanged since the mid 1980's. I own 60+ airguns and this is my first Beeman marked gun. (I do have a few HW's too) I can honestly say I know know first hand what the hype is all about. If you buy one do so with the understanding that it will most likely require a learning curve to extract the full potential from the gun. If you are ham fisted, impatient or dedicated to one hold look elsewhere. Learning to shoot the P1 has honestly made me a better shooter. I was forced to abandon my old habits to learn some new ones, not always an easy transition. Now I shoot my other airguns better thanks to the dicipline required to shoot the P1.

Good luck and good shooting.

Gibbs 007's Response to grassb's Review

Written on: 02/12/2009

I found this review very helpful because...the reviewer has explained very well how useful this well engineered pistol is as both as a target pistol and a training aid;a nice balanced review!