Ford Escort Van 1.8D Review

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Phoobar's review of Ford Escort Van 1.8D

“I am now on my 4th Ford Escort van. My 1st was a mk 3...”

Written on: 10/08/2008 by Phoobar (1 review written)

The escort van is a great workhorse, can carry good size loads, just make sure it is loaded evenly. Very reliable engines which are good for 200000 miles plus.

The back panels need to be lined properly to stop the general road noise inside, but pretty easy to do. Also look out for rot around the rear damper mounts, could cost up to £200 to be done properly, but my previous van had a very good engine so it was worth it, and the welder I used did a top rate job.

General Comments
I am now on my 4th Ford Escort van. My 1st was a mk 3 with an 1117cc petrol engine. I basically drove it into the ground, but whilst doing that I learnt to really enjoy it. The 1st thing that is needed on any escort van is a set of 14" rims, either steel or alloy, this is because the standard 13" rims have a 155/ 90 profile tyre on them, and the ride in corners, even with a light load feels decidedly 'washy.' my first set were the XR3 egg poachers, with 185/60's on them, and the overall ride and handling changed immediately for the better, and it also improves your braking ability. I am now running a P reg 1.8d 55 version, with 14'' XR3i alloys, apart from that its standard. The only other thing that you need to do, like with any vehicle is to keep it serviced. Mine has its oil and fuel filter changed twice a year, and a new air filter once a year. I hope all of this is helpful.

• 3

Doors

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Johnny Five's Response to Phoobar's Review

Written on: 03/02/2010

I found this review very helpful because...i have a van like this and wasnt sure how often to change filters and stuff thanks for the information...PS your right about the wheels and tyres i put 15 inch alloys on it and the diffrence is very noticeable..........