Apple Review

• Quality

BlingStudioNO's review of Apple

Apple

“My story with Macintosh:”

Written on: 09/08/2008 by BlingStudioNO (1 review written)

They have great stability, even in my view unbeatable by Linux and Windows 3.11 for Workgroups (The most reliable Windows-release ever).

It almost never crash and by almost, I mean less often than a PC! Other then that, it's perfect!

General Comments
My story with Macintosh:
I'm now 24 years old now and I was using Windows-PC's from 1997 until spring 2006.
I then got the taste of the Macintosh platform from a friend of mine who's a graphics designer.
I then almost ran to the stores and bought myself a PowerMac G5. Still have it and still use it daily...It has crashed two times throughout the two and a half years I've had it now. I haven't yet reinstalled my mac to get rid of spam, viruses and junk. My old PC used to crash 7 times a year on average (Yes, I've counted!). After a while you get sick and tires of using CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and meeting the "Blue Screen of Death" each time you do anything more than what Word require from your system. As graphic designer and photographer I couldn't have that problem. So I tried Mac and I won't go back to using Windows again. I work in Apple Aperture, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and InDesign on a daily basis. Very often at the same time. Not a problem. If you try doing that on a Windows-PC, you'll be branded a complete maniac.

Why is Apple so much better?
Apple engineers and Apple's strategy together makes the computers. They make the software and the hardware at the same place. Microsoft doesn't! Can you see where this is headed? Another Microsoft-bashing? Nope! Apple design their OS X operative system first, they then design the hardware set-up and then there's the looks of it, the wrapping! Since Apple has the best of the best working for them, the combination of these makes perfect. Also...just for comparison, Microsoft never make anything themselves. They just copy, copy, copy. And it goes on for ever. If Microsoft had done with Windows 2000, what Apple did with OS9. My goodness. Windows would have been a lot better. When Apple made OS X, they deleted OS 9 from all of their systems and started building OS X...from scratch! You never see Microsoft do that, making something new that is.

The business-view on Apple:
Apple has been grossing much money, just from being strategic... but how?

Apple designed the iMac and the iBook in 1997, launched it at WWDC in Boston 1998 and set their marketing towards young trendy students. And they succeeded. Apple continued along that path, with the introduction of the iPod in 2001. Them targeting trendy students and young adults with their products, is the most genious occurance in the history of computers. Apple has countinued making products that are appealing to both the average students living in the suburbs as well as to the uptown rich Harvard-graduates. Starting with iPod, iMac, iBook, Mac Mini, MacBook and now...the iPhone.

The shear price of the thing:
How long did you previous computer last? Trust me, no matter how long it was, a Mac would still have lasted three times longer then what your PC did. This is the main reason why some of the prices on Apple-computers might scare you off. But you you get what you pay for. If you buy a $1000-$1200 PC, you get a PC worth $500-600. If you buy a mac for the same money you'll have that computer for 5 years, almost crash-free.

I love my mac and once I've had mac I'd never go back!

• Quality

Red42's Response to BlingStudioNO's Review

Written on: 19/08/2008

I found this review helpful because... it does contain a lot of truths that PC (Microsoft) devotees would not agree to. I have a G3 iMac, G4 iMac and and an eMac. The oldest is nearly 8/9 years old and the youngest is 5 years old (eMac). They all work and the G4 iMac and the eMac can use the latest system (Tiger X10.5.4) quite ok, have not tried to update G3 as it is rarely used now. Can Vista be run on a normal computer 5 years old? Apple are changing tack on the next installation of the Snow Leopard OS10 System as I believe it will only run on Intel based computers, this being I think the first time it is not backward compatible. The iLife suite you get with macs, totally integrated and seamless, nothing like it on the PC scene, you have to get 'bolt' on extra programs for PCs. PC bashing - No, I used to teach on PC's Desktop Publishing and know the difference between the 2 system interfaces. Macs are superior in design, stability and in the long run cheaper as they hold their 2nd hand price as well, plus you can run Vista on it AS WELL if you want - 2 computers for the Price of ONE.