Ecuador, Pavacachi Community Review

From 1 review

cherryb26's review of Ecuador, Pavacachi Community

“I went to Pavacachi in July 2008 with a pilot...”

Written on: 31/07/2008 by cherryb26 (1 review written)

I went to Pavacachi in July 2008 with a pilot expedition organised by Earth Sessions. It was a fantastic experience because Pavacachi is smack bang in the middle of nowhere and the only way of getting there is first by light aircraft and then by canoe down the Curaray River, there is no noise pollution by anything other than the wildlife around you. And what wildlife!!!! wow, its not unusual to see Macaws fly overhead, and Toucans calling in the trees, frogs are out every night, and if your really lucky you might get to see the odd snake. But if its mammals your interested in then you are pretty much guaranteed to see some type of monkey, there is talk of Pumas and Jaguars being seen by members of the community but unfortunately I never got to see them, but you never know and I think that's what makes it so exciting is the fact that you never know what form of wildlife your going to see next. We stayed in a specially constructed cabin, built by the local community from cedar wood found in the forest, and rooms even have mosquito mesh across the windows to protect you from biting insects.The location is fantastic but nothing beats the community, they went above and beyond to accommodate us, they provided us with fruit and veg that they grow themselves in the forest and we even had a lovely lady cook for us, every meal was tasty! The children of the community are fabulous, they are so well behaved and never ask for anything, but if you do give them something such as a sweet or some crayons, they are soooo grateful. I have never met such kind, sweet, timid people, who make the very best of living off the land. Earth sessions, who is organised by an Aussie who is seriously well organised, I constantly felt like they would bend over backwards make anything happen for us, but obviously there are always constraints, such as we had a slight problem getting into the jungle because it was raining too hard to fly in, The guide was fantastic in that he organised a plane out as soon as the rain stopped and tried all possible options to get us in there as fast as was possible. I would seriously recommend the location, the wildlife, the people but most of all I would recommend travelling with Earth Session because there's nothing better than experiencing this with a group of like minded, experienced people.