Chinon Ce-4 Review

• Photograph Quality

Guest's review of Chinon Ce-4

“I am basically a Pentax fan owning an MX and an MZ-S...”

Written on: 26/06/2008

Very reliable shutter and operation.
Good light meter.
Control dials instead of digital interface.
K-mount (loads of great lenses at good price)
Exposure memory!!!

Only 1/1000 shutter speed (solved in CE-4s)
Nitpicking: plastic top plate.

General Comments
I am basically a Pentax fan owning an MX and an MZ-S for a long time. Unfortunately Pentax could not satisfy my need of having a basic electronic camera with classic big viewfinder (split screen/microprism collar), control dial (instead of digital interface) and a depth-of-filed preview lever (as I shoot most of the time with MF lenses). This led me to Chinon CE-4 (and later CE-4s). These cameras are simply great and spartan. No frills. And this is what you really need. Now after a couple years of first meeting with a CE-4 I already own three plus a CE-4s. Latter has a top shutter speed of 1/2000 which is an improvement over the original CE-4.
Though they are totally underrated there is a good point in this: you can get a 20-25 year old, trusty old workhorse for a bargain price. They may not be fancy in terms of having a big brand camera, but did I mention: I found what I needed at Chinon and not at Pentax!!! Have fun with this lovely camera!

• Over 1 Year

Time Camera Owned