John Irving, A Prayer for Owen Meany Review

From 1 review

sookisoo's review of John Irving, A Prayer for Owen Meany

John Irving, A Prayer for Owen Meany

“I honestly think this is the most moving, funny,...”

Written on: 17/06/2008 by sookisoo (1 review written)

Owen is the most well described, well rounded character I have ever read. The descriptions of this character are so detailed and we seem to know him as much as Johnny does, but of course there are still a lot of secrets and mystery about him, which are only revealed to us the same time as they are to Johnny.

The only bad point is that the book ended.

General Comments
I honestly think this is the most moving, funny, heartbreaking book, and it will stay with me for a good while.

I enjoyed the descriptions of the different religions and the petty reasons people would switch to another or look down on those in other creeds, not really living the religious life and not recognising that a 'happening' was in their midst as they went about their petty lives. I also loved the suspicion in the story, especially at the end. I absolutely adore Owen Meany and miss him terribly. The last line in the book brought me to tears.

• Paperback

Format