Hyundai Santa Fe Review

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

tafer2uk's review of Hyundai Santa Fe

“I bought a Hyundai Santa Fe because I wanted a 4x4...”

Written on: 05/02/2004 by tafer2uk (16 reviews written)

Good Value
Excellent warranty package (5 years)

Limited Optional Extras
Not a Jeep

General Comments
I bought a Hyundai Santa Fe because I wanted a 4x4 with excellent reliability/warranty. Hyundai were prepared to put their money where their mouth is and offered 5 years compared to everybody elses 3 years. I previously had a Jeep Cherokee 4.0L Ltd SE which I worshipped, unfortunatley every other week it needed something replacing or it broke down.

I bought the Santa Fe 2.0 CRD with added leather interior, privacy glass, wheel arch flares and Supaguard package(including mats, headlight protectors, and paint protection) all for 17k otr.

It's looks are OK, though not a Jeep and the specification again is good though not a Jeep, however reliabilty is far superior and parts/servicing are reasonable(very unlike a Jeep)

Fuel economy is a touch dissapointing as at present I am only getting 30mpg, which is no better than my 4.0L LPG Jeep Cherokee achieved.

I am looking at adding a few toys such as cruise and A bars etc... As yet the Jury is still out, I loved my Cherry and only like my Santa Fe but can't help but feel my Hyundai ain't no Cherry, although my Hyundai is still on the road where as my Jeep was often off it, and I don't mean dirt busting.

• 2003

Year Manufactured

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Ilovcars's Response to tafer2uk's Review

Written on: 14/02/2004

hi, please can you tell me where you payed that price for your santa fe.

Macca1977's Response to tafer2uk's Review

Written on: 03/09/2008

Great bargain. Wanted a big family car, didnt fancy another estate so went for 4x4. Doing toe to toe comparions with all the other stuff in its class; Freelander, Grand Vitara etc the Santa Fe was better in almost all aspects regarding mpg, space, boot volume, reliability ratings, price, even equipment as standard! Seems to drive alot better and less wallowy than my Dads Grand Cherokee too (and has more room inside).

Written on: 24/01/2007

Now I can appreciate where you are coming from Simon. I agree, who needs those kinds of vehicles in a place like Jersey; sounds a bit like showing off. So you live in a great part of the world, and I am a little envious; but do me a favor, and stop beating up on the new Santa Fe until you at least try one. And come on, admit it - a five year warranty doesn't mean garbage. Most of the North American models are following suit.

Written on: 23/01/2007

I can understand someone in some parts of Canada needing a 4X4 - but the UK? If you want four wheel drive buy a Audi, Subaru or Volvo, or even, dare I say it, a Golf 4Motion or whatever the MKV equivalent is. I suppose my beef comes from living in Jersey where there are more Discovery, Jeeps and Range Rover's than you can shake a stick at - why?! They are a pain in the backside. They get in the way, they are driven with 'arrogance', and they are utterly pointless!

Written on: 23/01/2007

In regard to using my Hyundai Santa Fe off-road. I did not buy it for that purpose. I use it for taking my caravan on holiday in all kinds of weather, all over the UK and the rest of Europe. As you appear to be talking environmentally, it is better than using a plane, and as it is a diesel it is even better than a small petrol car if going less than 3 miles (see Volkswagen's own report).
<br>
<br/>Cheers.

Written on: 23/01/2007

Hey, you can't say I bought a Hyundai for its name (though I think that is coming), no snobbery there; but I have read your review on your Passat. If I have anywhere near the trouble you had with that puppy, I'll never buy a Hyundai again. What was that about five year warranties?
<br/>A friend of mine owns a top of the line Passat, but he couldn't even change a headlight bulb without going into a major overhaul. Plus, the V.W. dealer was charging almost three times the going rate for an oil change. I don't think he's getting another one.

Written on: 21/01/2007

I never claimed I bought it for OFF-ROADING. I'll leave that to the true 4x4's. We are talking all wheel drive here, and I don't think any of the manufacturers, Hyundai, Honda, or X-Trail, would claim otherwise.
<br>
<br/>I DO live in Canada, and even though I live in the balmy west, the weather can be quite unpredictable. The guy that run into me, hit a patch of black ice and lost control. Now I realize that, AWD would probably not have had an effect on its own; but add in the ESC, and the traction control, and I for one believe it may have been avoidable. The Hyundai carries all of these, plus a good number of airbags, and it sure is nice to drive; quiet too.

Written on: 20/01/2007

I might try - but somehow the Golf GTi, my Volvo V70 D5, and even my wife's Mitsubishi Space Star hold more appeal (OK - I'm pushing it a bit on the Space Star).

Written on: 19/01/2007

Thanks for the concern Simon. Bad news I'm afraid though; I've just put one of those Hyundai's back on the road. Do yourself a favor and at least try a new 07.
<br/>I am not sure what models are offered in your neck of the woods, but my all wheel drive 242H.P. little girl is a far cry from the old "Pony".

Written on: 18/01/2007

...answer honestly now - how many of you actually need a 4x4? how many of you actually take your 4x4 off road?

Written on: 18/01/2007

I have now had my Hyundai Santa Fe for almost 3 years, during which time I have towed my caravan in fault free comfort for over 30,000 miles throughout Europe. I checked its mpg over 4,000 miles, towing in Spain and came up with almost 30 mpg. A fine car, except its looks do not appeal to everyone.

Written on: 17/01/2007

Glad you are OK after your accident - but the bright side is that it is one less Hyundai on the roads.

Written on: 06/01/2007

Yeah Simon, just like anything made by Honda twenty years ago was junk. I've just experienced a head-on in my Santa Fe, and walked away. I will likely get an 07 replacement. Logic tells me, if it's rubbish, give a one year warranty.
<br/>
<br>Sorry to hear that tafer2 puts so much on the Jeep logo; I live in Canada, so it's hard to get my head around that one.

Written on: 22/01/2006

Let's face it, Hyundai offer a five year warranty and all the extras because the basic car is bad. The Sante Fe is laughable as are most, sorry, all Hyundai (what is the plural for Hyundai - ah yes Jokes)

Biscuit26's Response to tafer2uk's Review

Written on: 10/07/2004

Just ordered a Santa Fe from Perry's in Preston. £15,160 inc road tax!

Written on: 29/03/2004

I just bought a Santa Fe. Over 35 mpg on the first tank on a long difficult trip. Very comfortable and quiet.

Ilovcars's Response to tafer2uk's Review

Written on: 01/03/2004

thanks very much. it sounds like you got a great deal. i should be in contact with them soon and i hope you enjoy your santa fe. thanks again.

Tafer2Uk's Response to tafer2uk's Review

Written on: 29/02/2004

Sorry for not responding sooner ilovcars, been away. I bought it from Autoworld at Chesterfield, Derbyshire.