Tom Tom One Review

• Clarity of Instructions

• Map Accuracy

northwest's review of Tom Tom One

Tom Tom One

“I've only had my TomTom One V3 for about a month. I...”

Written on: 29/05/2008 by northwest (8 reviews written)

neat design, fairly light, clear voice and display.

can't store routes, intersections difficult to find, limited selection of route types either takes you on narrow lanes or on long major routes.

General Comments
I've only had my TomTom One V3 for about a month. I have a Garmin Vista for walking/car but it has no voice and I had been in cars with Tom Toms and thought they seemed straightforward.

In reality the inability to pre-load routes is a bit of a nuisance. You need to set up favourites the night before leaving to ensure it goes on the route you want. Then having to set up in the car before leaving can take more time than you want.

Post codes seem to be the best method of entry. So you need to start writing them down for places you are going to.

If you try to enter points on the screen it seems to start selecting random points and then goes back to the beginning.

If you know you want to go via a certain motorway junction it isn't that easy to find it as it keeps prompting for post-codes and it thnks M1 and M6 are in Manchester.

We visited a National Trust property last week and it took us down a single track lane because it was a bit quicker than the road the house was actually on, even though we were on that road.

GPS reception is excellent. It picks up signal quickly inside the deepest rooms of our house whereas my Garmin Vista needs to be at least 10 yards outside the house.

It's easy to upload new maps and stuff. We uploaded all the Premier Inns and I'm looking for more.

The male voices seem to get lost in the radio so the female are better.

The battery lasts quite well without charging.

Overall it's a neat package and as long as you use common sense and don't take it for gospel it's great and not too expensive.

• uk and ireland

Area Covered

• None

What extra features are on this model?

• Clarity of Instructions