Elite ECS K7S5A PRO Review

• Ease of Set Up

SalemCat's review of Elite ECS K7S5A PRO

☆☆☆☆☆
Elite ECS K7S5A PRO

“I've been building and maintaining computers for...”

Written on: 03/02/2004 by SalemCat (1 review written)

Price

Unstable - Unusable

General Comments
I've been building and maintaining computers for nearly twenty years, and the ECS K7S5A PRO is by far the worst Motherboard ever.

It starts up fine, and even loads WIN98 w/o problems (usually). But try to upgrade to WIN98SE - forget it.

I haved swapped EVERY component, all of which tested good on other systems. I tried tweaking the BIOS every which way, and flashing the latest Version, of course.

Finally I got the Board to work by installing the OS and several programs with the HD in another computer and then swapping the HD to the PRO. But this did not satisfy the K7S5A for long!

Within just a few hours Registry Errors began occurring, and programs which worked fine before were failing.

I've owned ECS MBs before - I have an ECS K7S5A non-PRO for a year now. It's only issue was the Front USB Ports never worked - and yes, I know how to set these up - done it countless times successfully. Finally I decided Front USB was not important - but not before I wasted a few hours.

The K7S5A was simply annoying - but when I look at the hours I've wasted with this ECS K7S5A PRO - I'll never buy ANY ECS again.

Kevin Murphy's Response to SalemCat's Review

Written on: 08/12/2005

This motherboard does not do well with outdated Software like win98 or windows me due to the usb2 ports and their respective drivers. this is why windows xp pro is recommended for this board due to the stable drivers included with the op sys

Salemcat's Response to SalemCat's Review

Written on: 08/12/2005

Yes, I agree - this MB SUCKS with WIN98. But that does NOT excuse ECS, who to this day, on their Web Site, still claim "Windows Me ; Windows 9x ; Windows 2000 ; Windows XP" are all supported. Is it unreasonable for them to admit WIN9x does not work with this MB ? All I ask is for ECS to be HONEST.